Bonding and housing baby bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaper

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
I am a new bunny owner, I have a 7 week old female Netherland dwarf named Reaper. She has been with me for just over a week and seems very very happy. I would love to get another rabbit to keep her company while I am at work. So my questions are, is it ok to house two rabbits under 8 weeks old in the same condo? Or is there still a bonding process at this age? And is looking after two rabbits very different from looking after one?
thanks so much!

Baby bunnies usually do get along with each other, but once they reach sexual maturity at about 3 to 4 months of age, they can begin to fight. The easiest way to bond your rabbit with another one would be to get her spayed when she is old enough and then have her do "bunny dating" with other spayed/neutered rabbits to find one she gets along with.

You could get another female of similar age to yours and see how it goes. Youngsters tend to get along pretty good, until they hit the hormonal stage, and even then they might possibly be okay together. By getting another female you don't have to worry about mating issues.

Just keep in mind that if for some reason they don't get along you'll have to keep them separated. You could try bonding again after they're spayed.

Wow! Thanks so much for the fast replies!!

The rabbit I have in mind is a holland lop, maybe 5 or 6 weeks of age; I'm not sure if it's a male or female. I'm in Japan and Hollands don't seem to be as common here, so I am keen to scoop it up before someone else

But I guess if bonding as babies isn't necessarily a sure thing I should wait until I get Reaper Spade.... Hmm decisions decisions!

If you have to buy rabbits so young, it does help to have a pair. 5-6 weeks old is very young to be sold. In the United States, it is illegal in many states to sell rabbits before they are 8 weeks old.

As others have said, once they reach 3-4 months, they must be separated until they are spayed/neutered. After that, they can be bonded again.

I hear what your saying oak ridge, it's the same in Australia with dogs cats rabbits and the like.

I'm still undecided. I've always had pets and I believe I'm a caring pet owner, so I think the holland would be coming to a good home but still I can't make up my mind.

Thank you for the advise.

Latest posts

Back