Bonding a third?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristina7

Reaction score
I have a female 9 month old dutch bun and I was thinking about adopting an already bonded 1 yr old male/ female pair or buns, is that an ok thing to do? Would they gang up on her. Just wondering if it's even possible for her to bond with them since they are already a male female bonded pair

Whenever a 3rd rabbit is introduced to an existing bonded pair, there is a real risk of breaking the original bond.

If your female is spayed, then I'd suggested looking for another fixed rabbit. Bring her for some bunny dates at a rescue (contact the rescue first). Then they will try some potentials out with you. This is how they screen rabbits for potential compatibility.

The nice thing about working with a rescue is that they can advise you along the way. And if one bunny just refuses to bond with your girl, they allow exchanges.

I just had mine bonded over a week ago ( and it took a few mths in different cages ). they had a really hard time accepting one another ....

I had the cage(s) close to one another, at where they would pick up the scent of each other ....

than I separated the cages for a week and than reintroduced them again, a week later.

now they play and court one another ( as in laying next to each other and play w/ each other ). but when its time to call it a night they are still in separate cages for now ....

I would recommend something similar ( or some one may have better advice ) ..... best of luck

I just had mine bonded over a week ago ( and it took a few mths in different cages ). they had a really hard time accepting one another ....

I had the cage(s) close to one another, at where they would pick up the scent of each other ....

than I separated the cages for a week and than reintroduced them again, a week later.

now they play and court one another ( as in laying next to each other and play w/ each other ). but when its time to call it a night they are still in separate cages for now ....

I would recommend something similar ( or some one may have better advice ) ..... best of luck

@lokin4areason, are you talking about bonding two rabbits, or are you saying you already had a bonded pair and added a 3rd bunny to the pair? Just asking because the dynamics of adding a 3rd to an existing pair is totally different than just bonding two together.

no just two ( am barely keeping up w/ these two ) and three, wow, I wouldn't have much hair left ( like I have that much to loose any way ) =0/

I posted about a similar problem last night and gave not gotten any responses except I have 4 and the die of my bonded pair seems to be jealous of my other female my two female seem to be starting to bond now over the stress maybe?

There is really no way of knowing if it will work out or not. There are cases of a trio working out fine, then there are cases were it doesn't, and then there are times where the attempted bond disrupts the pair.

This girl bonded her single with a new bonded pair, and it worked out. So it is possible.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=83842

Latest posts

Back