Bonding 4 Month Old With 3 Month Old

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texaschewy

Reaction score
Would it be very likely to have a successful bonding between a four month old buck and a 3 month old doe? I would spay and neuter them when old enough, just thought I'd get some advice on how to house them and such prior to the final "no hormone" phase after each of their surgeries.

At those ages, hormones can start at any moment. There is really no benefit to even attempting to bond them before they have been fixed. It won't make bonding after surgery any easier since they will both smell different and be different once they return from surgery. Plus they have to stay apart for several weeks after surgery anyway -- again, that would negate any 'togetherness' they may have had prior.

However, attempting to put them together now (before surgery) does run the risk of destroying or hurting bond attempts later. If they happen to start fighting now, that could carry over to animosity later on when the real bonding begins.

Your best and safest option is to keep the rabbits completely apart now. Save the bonding for after their surgeries are complete and they have had time to heal. It can take 4-8 weeks after a neuter for those hormones to fully dissipate from your buck. He is old enough to neuter now, so you can get him scheduled already. The female can be scheduled (depending on your vet) at around 5-6 months of age.

Okay great advice. I will just keep them separated till hormones dissipate after spay and neutering. Thanks

Latest posts

Back