Bonded Pair and lovers spats!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maitiger

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been googling this issue for months now and thought I would post about it to see if any one has some insight on my problem.

The pair: 4 year old english spot cross male who has lived with us for 1 year (adopted) goes by Lyle and 1.5 year old harlequin female who has lived with us for 6 months (adopted) goes by Lola. They are both neutered and spayed. Free run buns, litter trained, and allowed access to two levels of the house.

The problem: The bonding process in the bath tub went well. 4 months of peace, a fight broke out. The male suffered most injuries on his ears. They wouldn't fight when enclosed but would fight when not. We thought we needed to rebond them, but we realized Lyle seems very sensitive to his injuries and would just nip her and chase her to tell her to stay away from him. Once he was feeling better he would stop chasing her away. A series of events happened such as holidays and roadtrips with them where their bond seemed to strengthen. They were always together and inseparable. 2 months later another fight broke out while we were sleeping, we woke up to the ruckess and broke them up. Lyle suffered injuries again, Lola did not. They are now separated and allowed out under supervision. Some times they cuddle and then Lyle remembers he's hurt so chases her away. Our concern is not the chasing but the big brawls that seem to happen every couple of months. Is this common? Why are these brawls happening?

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back