Bonded Male Pair Fighting?? Clumps of Fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DashinBunnies

Reaction score
My two bonded male bunnies (from the same litter) recently went for their desexing surgery and everything went well. I had to keep them separate for 5 days to let their stitchings heal. Last night I put them back into their original housing area together and this morning I found lots of fur/ big clumps of fur all over the hutch and play pen... have they forgotten each other just after 5 days being separated? They were still in the same room when kept separate. Should I monitor for another day to see if behaviour gets better or better to separate them from now on (separate play pen but next to each other)

thanks guys!

Separate them immediately! Check them for cuts and if you find a deep cut call your vet! They may need stitches! If it is not that bad you can clean it off with a warm damp cloth and put triple antibiotic ointment on it (make sure it has no added pain relief).

Before they were neutered they were not bonded, they had a baby bond that does not last. House them in separate enclosures, in different rooms, for 2 weeks so that they can forget each other. After that, you can put them in cages 6 inches apart for 2 weeks, but don't let them touch one another. After those 4 weeks, they will have fully healed and their hormones should have calmed down. Now you will be able to start the bonding process. Male rabbits are very hard to bond because one wants to be the dominant male. Do not beat yourself up if they do not bond, but instead consider bonding them with female rabbits. Here is a link and video on bonding rabbits: https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html

Also, welcome to the forum! I hope your rabbits are not injured!

Separate them immediately! Check them for cuts and if you find a deep cut call your vet! They may need stitches! If it is not that bad you can clean it off with a warm damp cloth and put triple antibiotic ointment on it (make sure it has no added pain relief).

Before they were neutered they were not bonded, they had a baby bond that does not last. House them in separate enclosures, in different rooms, for 2 weeks so that they can forget each other. After that, you can put them in cages 6 inches apart for 2 weeks, but don't let them touch one another. After those 4 weeks, they will have fully healed and their hormones should have calmed down. Now you will be able to start the bonding process. Male rabbits are very hard to bond because one wants to be the dominant male. Do not beat yourself up if they do not bond, but instead consider bonding them with female rabbits. Here is a link and video on bonding rabbits: https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html

Also, welcome to the forum! I hope your rabbits are not injured!

Thank you so much for the prompt response!! Makes so much sense. Yes I have separated them. Even though I have put them in separate rooms, my more dominant one has jumped out of the playpen twice not being happy.. hope he calms down soon or else I will have to put him in a secure hutch.. :/

Latest posts

Back