Blossom Has A Blockage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mindy10

Reaction score
So I noticed Blossom not eating and then her poops where real little and not much of them. I brought her to the vet and $500 later!! So she is there now and they will start treatment and then I have to start treatment at home. Anyone have any suggestions on how to make this as easy as possible. She hates to be held. Also is there a way to prevent this in the future because I can not pay $500 everytime this happens to her. I have had her for 2 years now. Thanks everyone

You will need to try and figure out what caused the blockage. Causes for GI stasis are too many carbs and sugars in the diet, a new food introduced too quickly, sensitivity to a certain veggie causing gas, molting and ingesting too much fur, not enough fiber in the diet, stress from changes or something new in the environment, tooth problems, other health problems causing pain. Once you know the cause then you can make the changes needed to prevent it from happening again. Here are some links explaining what blockages are and why they occur.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=484#.UZ8FPbx7LTo.twitter
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

My daughter was giving her alot of banana chips and Papya so I think thats what caused it. She does tend to eat the cardboard box that is her bed so I think I will have to take that out. The only other thing she eats is romaine lettus. Thanks

Ripley used to eat lots of papaya treats and he got stasis. I totally stopped those treats after he was better and he so far has not had a reoccurrence.

One thing that can help prevent it is plenty of hay to push things through. If you don't already, I recommend always giving several different types of hay mixed together. The bunnies are more interested and eat more that way.

Lots of hay, less sugar, and some probiotics whenever poops get a bit off should help.

Latest posts

Back