Bless Clover, and the miracle workers at Langley Emerg. Vet. Clinic

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xKuchiki

Reaction score
Sorry if I've put this in the wrong spot.

Last night I was cleaning out the rabbit cage and my old dog Barney (who has never EVER displayed anger to my rabbits, he's cuddled with them before and they groom each other) was lying down on the floor as per usual. Clover and Theodore always run around my bedroom as I clean. Well, Clover brushed up against Barney and instead of nudging her like he usually does he exploded and attacked her, biting her head. His teeth pierced the skin at the top of her head and it bled a little bit, but the worst part was her eye.. er.. popped out. I freaked out and ran downstairs with little Clover in my arms, crying and screaming (which was obviously not the best thing) to my sister who ran through the door. We both screamed at poor Clovers bulging eye, and I yelled at her to calm down. We jumped into the car at 11:00 PM and drove to the Emergency Animal Clinic in Langley. We called prior to arriving so they booked a vet, an exam room, and an OR. They took her in, examined her, explained to us the cost and the risk of putting her under anesthetics, and that worst case scenario was the eye would have to be amputated and that would be tied in with a 1500$ vet bill. They had 4 of those miracle workers on her at the same time, with many complications. However the surgery was a success and the vets there absolutely LOVED her saying how much of a doll she was and how easy feeding the antibiotics to her were. They got her eye back in the socket (it was so swollen they had to make a bigger incision in the corner) and then they sewed it up. I'm taking her to Dr. Sharon Pruz in about a week (the clinic faxed her over the info so she knows we're coming, they also commented on how wonderful she was and that they send all their rabbit patients to her) to get the sutures removed if the swelling goes down, and we'll see if the eye needs to be amputated or if she can regain her sight.

Just remember -- you can't always trust a dog. As loyal as they are, dogs can be very unpredictable and I hope this can be a lesson.. to everyone.

Bless Clovers Heart :inlove:

xxmaki

P.S my sister ran into walmart and bought a TINY tiny kennel with barely any room for a food dish and water bottle. I don't want Clover free ranging because she is learning how to see with her left eye only and I don't want her getting into something or walking into something, further damaging her eye. I BEGGED my sister to buy some NIC cubes for a quick + easy cage for her, but obvs 'thats too much work'. Any suggestions? :/

Thanks so much for the support, he really needs it. Dawn, thank you so much. While reading your post I was smiling with a grin that reached to each corner of the world. We're going to have to wait till Tuesday so I can ask my father if its allowed, and then if he says yes we should totally do it.

-makii

Well, just let me know if you need the help :)

I can also help with injections or other medical stuff if Clover ends up needing them. I found that doing injections for Zeke when he had major surgery (genital reconstruction...) much less traumatic than oral. He hated the oral antibiotics (prevent the surgery sight from getting infected), so I had the vet teach me to do injections.

--Dawn

Joey LOVES his painkillers, the vet said they are supposed to taste like honey. He particularly enjoys sucking whatever he can out of the syringe, even if I tell him a couple hundred times there isn't anything left!

Is he on an antibiotic as well? Zeke was on an antibiotic for about two weeks after his surgery to prevent an infection.

All of my bunnies love the metacam as well. Baxter is on Zithromax at the moment for a persistant upper respitory infection, and he loves the stuff. Goes nuts for it, and also tries to eat the syringe to get more.

--Dawn

I was given 3 syringes for the painkillers, 1 in the morning for 3 days, and I'm supposed to give 1 - 2 drops of his eyedrops 4 times a day which I've panned out two in the morning, two when I get back from school, one before i eat dinner, and before I go to bed. I also thoroughly clean the area around his eye and the opening (it was left open a tad so that the eyedrops can seep in) because it gets really filled with puss and the eyedrops won't go in otherwise.

mackiee

I would strongly suggest talking to the vet about being on an oral or injected antibiotic. Especially if the eye is pussing already. I don't think that drops are enough to get rid of an infection of the eye.

Chloropalm, zithromax are good oral antibiotics or you can try penicillin injections.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back