Black rabbits not popular....??? why is this........

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBunny

Boomer Bunny
Reaction score
I've been noticing lately heaps of rescues on Facebook keep saying they have lots of black rabbits up for adoption, and stating it is because people look past black rabbits and don't want them.
One comment i read was it was also the same for black cats and dogs in shelters....
This is the first i have heard of this.
I know some believe black cats are bad luck... but that is a cat. not a rabbit.

I never knew it was happening... why is this ???
Does it happen where you are? are black rabbits less popular? why ?

I guess i myself have a preference when it comes to bunnies. Albino anything scares me a little with little red eyes. So the only rabbit it didn't want was a rabbit with red eyes. That all comes from childhood dreams that use to scare the *begeezes* out of me.

When I first got Boomer I have many times heard people say he just looks like a wild feral rabbit, or why didn't you get one with colour.... but I love that he looks like a wild rabbit kinda (well you wont find any "wild" lop rabbits though) and i love his mixed colouring of greys browns and white.

With rabbits I'd guess it's the red eyed whites that are less adoptable, but across most animals solid black individuals are considered less adoptable. I think a big part of this is that they are challenging to photograph well. (Unless we have good lighting, my camera just acts like Watson is a shadow whereas Cricket is the star of the show).

I have heard that REW rabbits or red eyed white some do not like. I like all animals and do not mind any color or combination of.

I have heard the same thing about black rabbits, cats and dogs. I think it is due to people superstitiously feeling they are evil even if not consciously. Especially with cats and with dogs they can look more mean than another color.

Some people may not like them believing the black fur they shed would be worse than other colors.

I know that as an inexperienced bunny person, I shied away from dark-coloured bunnies. But that's because I read that black bunnies have black nails, which make it really difficult to distinguish between dead nail and the quick. I didn't want to hurt them during nail-trimming time!

I know that as an inexperienced bunny person, I shied away from dark-coloured bunnies. But that's because I read that black bunnies have black nails, which make it really difficult to distinguish between dead nail and the quick. I didn't want to hurt them during nail-trimming time!

When I was looking for a rabbit to adopt I thought ahead of time that I would avoid a black rabbit for that very reason. As you can see, my plan went out the window. LOL!

image.jpg

I think the real problem is that there are so many others with varied color patterns that will stand out so much as when compared to a black bunny. That's never bothered us as we've had 3 black bunnies and also 3 REW. We have a little Dark Brown Mini Rex that is so dark everyone thinks she's black till I turn up the light and they take a really good look. All we care about is that they are healthy and happy--we rescue all colors and sizes--2 pound Netherland and we have a Checkered Giant that is almost 20 pounds and a real load to pick up.

Admittedly when I took my Watson bunny dating where we found Cricket, they had some all black bunnies about his size but I didn't really want another bunny that looked just like him because I like being able to easily tell them apart from afar. Plus sometimes Watson blends in with the bottom of their dog crate cage and it's hard for me to tell he's already in there as I search around the room.

Kaley, thinking of any little black rabbit in particular lol. I like all colours, I love my REW as well. I agree that when probably when people go to choose their bunny, the other colours stand out more but I love all the black ones on here, they all seem to have such bright eyes.

My first little bunny, Felix, is a black nethie! :p

I love him to bits. He's hard to take pictures of sometimes, though. :D

I guess it is due to my inexperience of rabbits despite reading EVERYTHING i could for months before even getting a bunny... but i didn't even consider nail colours or if it will be photogenic, or anything like that.

My 2nd choice from the litter Boomer came from was a VERY DARK grey bunny who was almost black. But as soon as i seen Boomer i wanted him and could resist the little fat ball of fluff that he was.

I'm intrigued with all the responses people have about this question....

If rabbits are being sold online and there are photographs, the black ones are definitely at a disadvantage, very hard to get the eyes to show up in photos of black animals, so that you can show how cute they are.

I love black rabbits and ruby eyed whites. If you look into the eyes of a ruby eyed white they are really beautiful.

I do agree about REWs. I just love them, my Snowy is just such a cuddle bun.

I do also like the black ones, I really do think they have such bright eyes.

1399208850262.jpg

In any animal shelter of any species, you'll be told they have more black animals than any other color. Main reason being is the human eye's fault. When you're passing by the cages you automatically stare at movement, and then pattern that breaks up. That's why you can never help but stare at a TV if it's near by. So if there's a dog/cat/bunny/etc just sitting there, and another animal of a different color (even if it's black with white, or another color) it will automatically call your attention more than the solid black.

Plus if the shelter is online, they are harder to photograph their eyes, which many humans tend to connect with since humans are used to people expressing their own emotions through their eyes as well. When a potential owner, no matter how educated, can't see the eyes, sometimes that's a subconscious decision of "no" without even realizing it!

I personally LOVE black animals. My fave dog breed is the rottweiler (I know more about dogs than anything else xD I'm new to rabbits), my two ND mixes are black and white. :3

it's just the way people are.... solid black anything doesn't sell as well as most any colour other than REW.

Hehe, I saw Felix posted online and fell in love with him and his blue eyes... only to see him in person, and find out it was a trick of the light; his eyes are brown. :p Still love him!!!

Felix is so cute and has very bright eyes. I do agree though, people do tend to go straight past them.

Black, white, fawn, pink, green, yellow... a rabbit is a rabbit to me, whatever it's colouration. I have a buck who is a black/dark grey mixture, and he's the sweetest thing :) Their need of a good home, their personality and how well they'll suit a certain potential owner's lifestyle is all that should matter to someone who is looking for an animal in rescue.

Its mainly because they dont photograph well and are "boring" to some. In different cultures black dogs and cats can be bad luck and signify death.
I have a (mostly) black dog, a black cat and two black rabbits. I dont care what colour your fur is!

And in regards to nail clipping, I find black nails to be easier, but I dont go based on looking for the quick on the side of the nail
But on what the middle of the nail looks like when I trim it

Back