Biting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feather78

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I could not find anything. My bunny is a sweetheart, but he goes through stages where he bites us. He went to the vet two weeks ago, and since then, he has been lunging at us whenever we (we being me, my 3 year old, and my boyfriend) walk by. He bit my boyfriend on the hand this morning when he was sitting down and tying his shoes. I try pushing his head down gently after, but he it still doing it. Other than this, he is fine. He laid next to me last night, and I pet him for almost an hour. Does anyone know how to stop this behavior?

ETA: He is about 2 1/2 years old and neutered.

I don't have a lot of experience with biting. Is there a pattern you can see for when he bites and lunges? It sounds like he is biting and lunging when he is out of his cage so it wouldn't be cage aggression. That is strange he started doing it after the vet visit. He never acted like this before? Hopefully someone with more knowledge on biting will respond.

feather78 wrote:
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I could not find anything. My bunny is a sweetheart, but he goes through stages where he bites us. He went to the vet two weeks ago, and since then, he has been lunging at us whenever we (we being me, my 3 year old, and my boyfriend) walk by. He bit my boyfriend on the hand this morning when he was sitting down and tying his shoes. I try pushing his head down gently after, but he it still doing it. Other than this, he is fine. He laid next to me last night, and I pet him for almost an hour. Does anyone know how to stop this behavior?

ETA: He is about 2 1/2 years old and neutered.
do you suppose the bun thinks it is funny..,the response he gets.??--i guess that isn,t as funny as i thought,,anyway--i call it the blood letting,...my cottontail thinks its funny,,but i got him back one day by a high pitched scream...which a rabbit identifys as pain--or when they are dying,,..the blood letting stopped...but this had to be repeated on several occassions to drive the point home--they understand they are hurting you kinda reverse psycology...sincerely james waller..this is barring any medical reasons for the nip..biting,attacking:wave::rose::pinkbouce::bunnydance:

It could also be just "his" scent that makes the bun react as well, but since neutered I wouldn't think this to be the initial cause. It could be a combination of these things as well, it's hard to say without more details.;)

Are there too many people around when he's out? Does anyone get in his "way"?

What was the visit for? Are you sure he's not in pain or discomfort from a procedure or an ailment or something?

That said, two weeks is about right for a vet grudge, although I think I've had them last a month or more with Dill, who was a very opinionated mini-rex. (What breed is Houdini?)

I've gotten the bunny butt for weeks for vet visits, having guests invade their territory, etc. They can seriously hold grudges.

All you can really do is keep apologizing with soft words, pets and tiny treats.

And as James said, if he bites you, yelp. He'll probably feel bad and stop.

sas :bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back