Biting - Aggression or something else?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyLove

Reaction score
My two babies, Pepper and (recent addition) Katie are in the bonding process. Things have been going well and there has been no signs of aggression nor fighting. There have been the occasional "nips" from both ends but both bunnies seem fine before and after it happens.

They have been doing well in the "neutral" zone so I have moved them to Pepper's play room. Things went great on day one (and even went well when they had a brief play time in there the day we got Katie) Day 2 of being in the play room started out great. They we interacting more and bouncing around have playing with toys. However, then Pepper lunged at Katie and bit her. We separated them for a minute or so but Katie seemed fine and Pepper was back to normal. However Pepper was playing around (not showing aggressive behavior) and bit my fiance, Andy in the back. HARD. After a few pets for both of them we ended the date.

Pepper has "nipped" me only a few times (like maybe twice) and they have never been hard. Poor Andy has a mark on his back. Could Pepper be upset that Katie is in "his" play room? He seemed fine with it in the past.

Any insight would be helpful to Pepper's naughty behavior. Thanks!

Fuzzy Love

Pepper is still being territorial over HIS territory/ I would move back to neutral ground for the time being. His reaction to Andy was not personal. he is just upset re. disturbance of HIS space.

it sounds really like in general things are positive. Would it bepossible for you to find a neutral permanent space for both of them? ( Katie and Pepper?)

If not ...keep doing dates in neutral teritory and don't let Andy get between them

Always try to end the time together before a negative experience occurs between them
I truly think that these 2 have a great potential to make a good pair.

Ive had buttons for 5months now. We didnt pick her in the pet shop we ordered her as there was a short supply of Netherland dwarfs in our area. But since weve had her she refuses to bond with us. She grunts if you go to pick her up and bites if you hold her until she gets down. If you try to pick her up she keeps moving in your arms sticking her nails into you and hissing. Basil our other Netherland dwarf is a dream he loves attention and sitting beside us and has no problems with being picked up.

How can we get Buttons to be more relaxed?

I have tried hold here eventhou she bites but it doesnt work. I have also tried giving fresh veg and basil leaves while rubbing her but she just grabs them out of your had and runs off!

Any ideas on how I can get her to be like Baz?

She's never going to be like Basil.
you're thinking the same as parents who want one sibling to be like the better behaved one.

She has her own personality and it may be a little less difficult if she was spayed.

Most rabbits do not like being picked up so Basil is the exception.

you might want to sit on the floor quietly reading or ignoring her and let her come to you. "

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12051&forum_id=17

There's even more articles re. behavior in the library that will help you work with her

angieluv wrote:
If not ...keep doing dates in neutral teritory and don't let Andy get between them

Always try to end the time together before a negative experience occurs between them
I truly think that these 2 have a great potential to make a good pair.

I thinnk angieluv was right on point - must be in a separate territory and to try to end each session before it "goes south".. Watch their posturing to get to know when one is going to try to "assert" themsleves as the "Alpha" bun..

Sounds like you have a good handle on the situation and its just that horrid time of "waiting and watching"..

Good luck - and post back what you find as we all can learn! :)

I know they have different personalities I was just hoping she would relax more around us. when she is out with Baz they have a great time and get on brill together te love lying beside each other and licking each other and snuggling up together but when we go and move them into a warmer room and back into their cage for the night thats when she hits the roof. Their house rabbits so are fairly spolit:D

SG-Basil wrote:
I know they have different personalities I was just hoping she would relax more around us. when she is out with Baz they have a great time and get on brill together te love lying beside each other and licking each other and snuggling up together but when we go and move them into a warmer room and back into their cage for the night thats when she hits the roof. Their house rabbits so are fairly spolit:D
it might take a long time but don't try to MAKE her come to you... just give her a lot of space and maybe she will choose to come to you and feel more relaxed doing it.....:)

Latest posts

Back