Bio-Sponge - questions and ordering co-op?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
This is the product that Randy has been recommending for intestinal issues. . .

http://www.platinumperformance.com/Small-Animal-Bio-Sponge0153-Syringes/productinfo/SBIOS1/

1199_151301_480000000.jpg

A couple of questions...

I see it comes in the paste tube/syringe form for small pets, and in caplets, and in powder. I assume the best for bunnies is the tube, but can the others be used in a pinch?

Is the powder or big tubes a formulation only for horses or is it the same thing with just dosage differences?

Does it need to be refrigerated or anything? Does it have a long shelf life?

I can't order this stuff in Canada, there doesn't seem to be a lot of places carrying it in the US either, at least not the pet version, and it seems to cost a small fortune in shipping even in the US, so does anybody want to go in on a few tubes?

We can have multiples shipped to one address (the price is the same for one or four), and mail them out from there at a more reasonable price.

:anyone:

sas :bunnydance:

I am sure both can be used. The gel is probably the easiest to dose, although if the bunny won't let you put the tube in his mouth at all, the powder might be better because you could mix it up in pedialyte and give via syringe. I do not have mine refrigerated.

I bought it off the internet here. I would be willing to help out if needed.

I have the lab data from the Platinum Performace validations. Testing was done on Clostridium P and D in vitro. The labs reported binding nearly all the enterotoxins induced by these bacteria. And these are the two most commonly found pathogens in rabbits during a GI event. I personally use the powder since I use it primarily on baby wildlife and can mix it easily in formula. I also sprinkle the powder on greens. We ordered a large tub and split it among our rehabbers and vets. And keep in mind that the digesive system of a horse and a rabbit are very similar....and most of the medical treatments I use are derived from horse protocols....just very downsized. A good horse vet (if willing) is much better to use than an inexperienced small animal vet.

Customer service at Platinum Performace is great. They also have a Facebook page that they share info and interact with their customers.

Randy

ra7751 wrote:
I personally use the powder since I use it primarily on baby wildlife and can mix it easily in formula. I also sprinkle the powder on greens. We ordered a large tub and split it among our rehabbers and vets.
Thanks Randy! This may be the way to go if a lot of people are interested. I know my Vet is!

(I should ask them why they're not in Canada, maybe they need a rep). ;)

sas :bunnydance:

If you check their Facebook page, I think there was a thread on there about BioSponge being available in Canada....and I think they listed one vet near the person asking...maybe in Alberta.

Randy

fwiw the CS rep at platinum performance told me that the powder will not work well in the rabbit bottles for water as the powder will settle to the bottom clogging the bottle. she did say that it could be sprinkled on the food however, the dosage with the syringe (gel) applied by the handler could be more accurately dosed.
additionally, she mentioned that if the handler was off on the dosage amount slightly is was not of great concern as the product is benign.

i agree with randy the CS was awesome at performance plus! i have 60cc (horse syringe) so i will not participate in the group order however, i suggest that you have this product on hand.

lastly the CS rep told me NOT to put the tubes in the fridge as they would harden up and be difficult to use.

one more thing, i purchased my tube from a equine vet, he stated that he used the product regularly especially for newly born horses. in a pinch, call your local equine vet!

If I can get it through keith do we maybe want to go that route he can get it cheaper then we can.

I asked him already but If he can do yall want to know about it.

i paid $14.25 for a 60cc syringe. i would be willing to ask the vet for a kit(box) price (providing he is willing to assist) on the smaller 15cctubes if people want to compare prices. i wont pretend to know how the product is priced as this is the first time i have purchased it however, the vet may get it for less because of volume discounting. just a thought....

It's better to dose things like this for rabbits not in the water anyway. The reason is that when you put the drug/supplement in the water, it's hard to tell how much of the stuff that the bunnies get, because some water bottles leak, some bunnies don't drink as fast as others, etc. Even if you had the powder, I would give it as discrete doses, made into a slurry and put through a feeding syringe.

I have the cholestyramine (Questran) but have had issues with the amount of water it has to be given with, and also concerns about it binding with or reducing absorption of meds. I have read it reduces absorption of acetominophen, for instance, but can't find any info on commonly given rabbit meds (pain, abx). Does the Bio Sponge bind with or reduce absorption of any meds?

Latest posts

Back