Best way to mask vet smell

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksupra94

Reaction score
Well one bunny has a vet appointment tomorrow and i'm worried that her bonded boyfriend will not like the smell when she returns. I read that rubbing vanilla extract will mask the smell, is this true? Are there any methods for this? Thanks

Do you think giving both of them a bath with the same shampoo would work? Maybe take him to vet also? Lol

It would be best to take both buns. It helps them stay calmer as both are there and they smell the same. Vets should allow you to bring the other bun even though he is not getting any vet care. Also bring them both in the same carrier so they can be together.
Unless the one bun has a serious medical issue, they should stay together. It is just easier on everyone that way.

yep they say to take both bunnies ..or else they might unbond ..and like Kate said it helps them deal with the stress of the visit ...they will bond even more during this vet visit..

I agree, always best to take bonded bunnies together. If that's not possible then giving her a good rub over with their bedding after will help with the scent. No baths, though - you shouldn't bath a rabbit unless absolutely necessary.

gosh i wish i would have known about this sooner!!:foreheadsmack: when i brought willow home from the vet after her spay, walter wanted nothing to do with her and scratched and tried to bite his way out of their cage all gosh darn night!!! i couldn't figure out what the heck his problem was!!!!:foreheadsmack: I figured he must have smelled the "medicine" and was having a de ja vue from when he had his nueter a few months ago. It never even crossed my mind to take them together... that is why i love this forum i learm so much stuff!! Thank goodness he seems better about her now but it did take him awhile to want to cuddle with her again!!

I forgot I made this thread and my gf took the girl to the vet alone without me thinking about it, college is stressful.
Anyways, the girl got spayed and shes back home now in her own x pen but the guy can see her through the bars, it seems like he doesn't notice anything because he immediately went to her and laid by her, and she laid with him on each side of the bar.Guess we got lucky and he has a bad nose!

Latest posts

Back