Best location for pregnant doe?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aelfb

Reaction score
We have a new bunny whom we believe to be pregnant. Much to my delight, I had a great caged area set up for her so that my kids could watch the babies and enjoy that whole process. Well, we have a small courtyard area where I let her hop about once a day, and ALL she wants to do is make a nest in the dirt between two boxwoods. Now I'm torn. Do I let her just nest there or move her back to my controlled area? Are there any downsides to the more "natural" setting? Does anyone out there have any tips for me? If I let her nest out there, what do I still need to provide her? I need to figure out a creative way to still do water, food, etc. And, because of the odor, I'd like to still have a litter box available to her (she just trained in the cage). Am I being too much of a control freak?! :)

PS: Will a rex bunny dig a hole in the ground, or nest above ground? Thanks!

They will make the hole below ground and I do not recommend it at all. You are not able to check on the babies and make sure they are alive and well. Whatever cage she is in make sure you have a nest box separate from her litter box. Nest boxes are the safest way to house babies so they can stay together and are easily accessible.

your doe probably got scared from your children watching her. I've read they like to be secure and safe. and also it's best to have one person handling the kits, not multiple people. I've heard does can eat their kits if they're stressed.

That information is not true. Cannibalism is a rare occurrence in rabbits and you should handle the babies as much as possible.

My experience is 6 years of breeding rabbits. I can see where your doe may not feel safe.

Last edited:
yup, i have NEVER had problems with touching my new born babies. the mom couldn't care less. i hold all of my baby rabbits everyday until they are out of the nestbox, then it is like every other day.

I didn't mean don't touch them at all, I mean that's it's not good to have like strangers touching them because it makes the mom nervous. that's just what I read. haven't had the experience.

It's just me and my mom that handle the rabbits although we are always bringing them in the house around our dogs and cats and my brother and his girlfriend holds them too. It's not often but mom doesn't care. I do know a lot of breeders who have kids that show in youth shows and I can only imagine how much those babies are handled when the kids fluffy or princess has babies lol I don't think it will be an issue but all mommas are different

Latest posts

Back