Best breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylove817

Reaction score
I have a two year old neutered (recently) male mini lop and he seems to be lonely and i have been toying with the idea of getting him a "mate" in a few months when his hormone levels go down. Is there a "best" breed to bond with a mini lop? Is it better to get a spayed female instead of another male? Thanks!

Aw, getting him a friend would be a lovely idea.

Yes, a spayed female is better than a male.

I would suggest taking your guy on bunny dates to local rescues and allowing him to choose his friend. Really, breed doesn't matter, but personality does. It could be a bunny older, younger, bigger, smaller, the same, yet none of that matter if they don't get on, so personality comes first. :)

Wait maybe two months and then maybe start looking for a friend.

Thanks! I know the main thing would be compatibility, but I also want to get a rabbit that likes me too :]

If I got another rabbit would I need another cage? My cage is 36" by 36", but he gets to freeroam whenever anyone is here.

I had a mini lop and her cage mate was a nuetuered old Nethie mix, but she also loved the female flemie.

You wouldn't be able to enclose them in that together. However, you could use it as a base and maybe attach a pen for the pair of them.

You won't just be able to put them together though, so any new bunny will need a temporary place to live until they are fully bonded.

My mini lop is bonded to a normal bun female, so adorable becuase he is so tiny compared to her, but they love each other all the same :)

I agree that breed doesn'tmatter too much, get a spayed female. Ihave a mini rexmale and a new zealand female that are in LOVE with each other.He makes her look HUGE in comparison. I did not get to take him along to choose, and adopted a female that was mellow and seemed to have a similer personality to him. They bonded themselves almost instantly. I didn't have to go through the full bonding process. I caged them right next to each other so they could sniff through the bars, and let them out to play together a few times. Then they were inseperable. I hope your experiance goes assmoothly!

Latest posts

Back