Belgian Hare?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malloryb

Reaction score
Hi!
Recently I was given these 2 bucks. I believe they might be Belgian Hares but I’m not sure. (I’ve had rabbits since I little, & have never seen rabbit like these before!)
019E4A12-5E55-4F58-BDC2-D3C1018F9213.jpegAEC1DBF5-6010-41E9-B4AE-218B8233AB9B.jpeg

The first photo looks similar to my rabbit here -- just a mixed breed:
1599088885785.png

The rabbit in your 2nd photo with his long skinny leg looks quite different than the first. Can't tell well enough, though, from the photo what he looks like from the side.

Here's a photo of a Belgian Hare from ARBA's website:
1599089149707.png

They are definitely not Belgian Hares. I used to have belgian hares. The color is wrong, the shape is wrong. It's much to uneven in color, not bright enough red, and is far too bulky and short to be a belgian hare. I could see it having some belgian hare ancestry, but unless you actually know it's cross I wouldn't assume that - belgian hares are extremely rare (at least in the US). If anything, they look closer to a gray sport english spot to me, if we were going off of color and build alone. They are mixed breeds. We can't tell breed.

The first photo looks similar to my rabbit here -- just a mixed breed:
View attachment 50268

The rabbit in your 2nd photo with his long skinny leg looks quite different than the first. Can't tell well enough, though, from the photo what he looks like from the side.

Here's a photo of a Belgian Hare from ARBA's website:
View attachment 50270
Ok! Thank you for the feedback! :)

They are definitely not Belgian Hares. I used to have belgian hares. The color is wrong, the shape is wrong. It's much to uneven in color, not bright enough red, and is far too bulky and short to be a belgian hare. I could see it having some belgian hare ancestry, but unless you actually know it's cross I wouldn't assume that - belgian hares are extremely rare (at least in the US). If anything, they look closer to a gray sport english spot to me, if we were going off of color and build alone. They are mixed breeds. We can't tell breed.
Ok! Thanks so much for the feedback!
The person who gave them to me didn’t know the breed either. So far they’ve been nice rabbits! Get along well together & love to play. 😊

Back