being a brat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patches2593

Reaction score
i dont know why but my bunny wont stop shredding and tearing and chewing things apart!!! he has fleece blankets in his cage and he is just shredding them and digging a little, just all of a sudden. im afraid he is eating the fleece blanket even though ill find little pieces all around his cage

why is he doing this? how can i stop him?

thank you

How old is he, has he reached puberty? These aren't uncommon behaviors, but other than puberty I don't know why they'd suddenly start.

Puberty was my thought too if he isn't neutered. If you think he might be eating his blankets, take them away. You don't want to risk an obstruction.
Is he getting plenty of time out of his cage to work off his energy?

he is let out of his cage basically everyday. and hes 2 years old, he just started doing this shredding thing a couple weeks ago.

Is he neutered?

What kind of toys does he have in his area? How often does he get out?

I would say remove the blankets and try giving him some other things to play with. He could just be bored. Try giving him some more toys or even try giving him some bedding so he can dig as much as he likes without destroying things. In other words, you can't necessarily stop the behavior but try and get him to do it with things that are more acceptable. If he eventually stops, you can try the blankets again.

I find that once bunnies put their mind to something, they become a bit obsessive. Maybe he just realized how fun this is! Or he could be bored. Or it could be hormones.

I would take out the fleece, put something new in, and get some new toys.

Also, is he neutered and how long is he let out of his cage everyday and how big is the cage? Have you had him since he was a baby?

I find that once bunnies put their mind to something, they become a bit obsessive. Maybe he just realized how fun this is! Or he could be bored. Or it could be hormones.

I would take out the fleece, put something new in, and get some new toys.

Also, is he neutered and how long is he let out of his cage everyday and how big is the cage? Have you had him since he was a baby?

i have LOTS of toys in his cage and his cage is pretty bug. its a nic cage and its 4 floors tall. he gets let out maybe a couple hours everyday. i had him since he was 5 months old and hes always chewed his blankets but not this much!! he is neutered

im not sure how i could remove the blankets because that is basically the bedding in his cage and underneath its linoleum that he would rip apart and it would be slippery.

but thank you everyone for your help :)

Latest posts

Back