Been Awhile...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhockin78

TobyBun
Reaction score
Been absent these past few months, my Toby bun is going down hill fast and it's been non stop vet visits and care.

Update:
-His hip dysplasia is so bad now that he can hardly walk/hop/sit
-He now spins in circles to move about, which is causing open sores on his bum
-he can't empty his bladder completely so I have to manually stimulate it and express his full tummy
-when he is having a "good day" he can hop, but skitters really fast, usually resulting in him losing his balance
-he had a seizure when he tried to groom himself and couldn't stay upright and fell over multiple times...stress induced???
-he is now having seizures...he is on metacam and tramadol, and when his first seizure occurred I didn't quite understand what was happening. 2nd time, knew instantly, Doc thought they might be caused by the tramadol, so we took him off the only pain meds we can get too. Not happy about that.
-we have to bathe him daily, sometimes twice a day due to the fact he can no longer hop into a litter pan and pees and sits in it causing urine scald
-bathing him causes him to seize (sigh) and we are only rinsing off his hind end, not even close to submerging him
-seizures may be caused by encephalitis, so we are debating whether to get the expensive test
-weighing options of putting him down, even though he seems healthy everywhere else :(

The good news is:
-he is still loving
-he still eats like a champ
-he still tries like crazy to move and hop about
-usually the first one out of the pen in the morn
-he tries sooo hard to be a "normal" bun and I just love his will to live
-he is from what we can tell, healthy as can be from the hips up, except for the seizures

It's been a looong journey and we are not sure what to do yet. Our vet is in consult with UC Davis to get opinions, some very expensive, he is 7 fyi, and some very reasonable. I suppose getting tested for the brain disease is high on my list, that will make the tough choice a bit easier for us...

Thoughts?

Hmm, hard call but, I'd be asking the vet about a small wheeled platform you could harness his back end into so he could move a bout easier and, of course you need to do his grooming for him. (Like the things you see some disabled dogs using that give them wheels for back legs and let them use their front legs to move around.)

You know, have you checked out the blog on Coco? She is paralyzed and you might see or read some info that you could use for you bunny. Personally, after having taken care of a paralyzed mother from the time she got paralyzed until the time she died much of what you are writing we had to do with our mom... not litter pan of course, but the expressing of the bladder etc. You need to up the nutrition to get the sores to heal. Keep him off the hind legs, and I agree with Blue Moods. Get him a wheeled platform to use so there is no pressure on his back end. There are blogs also about how to care for a disabled bunny. I think they have some great tips as well.

I'm sure Coco's mom can help you out as well with how to help your bunny since she has been taking care of Coco and dealing with alot of similar issues.

For me, since I couldn't put my mom down because she couldn't walk, I dont' see the same option as being viable for pets and I've had a pet become paralyzed before so I know what you are dealing with. Others can speculate, but I personally know and know all that goes into it from taking care of both a full grown human and pet. I know the time that goes into it.
While he was temp paralyzed due to blood problems, and it last several months, I had to do the same things you did. The joy that pet gave me outweighed the 'work' that went into keeping him healthy. Putting him down was not an option. I had spent at one time $5000 for MRI's... personally if I had access to UC Davis (I used to live in Los Angeles) since that is one of the better vet schools I would go for it and have them test the hell out of him! While it may be pricey I will tell you , you will get some of the most accurate and high end tests on that rabbit! I would go for it. Personally, my baby's blood was sent to Cornell.. so I would take advantage of UC Davis and pick their brains while you are there with him. Get a list of questions together and ask about surgery as well.. Find out who is their orthopedic surgeons and write their info down and when you get back post it here... there is going to be others around here that need that info in the future for their bunnies. We might as well share what we can to help each other out.

Please keep me posted and Toby sounds like he had a great spirit. If he was sitting and not wanting to do one thing I could see you perhaps talking about putting him down, he sounds to me that he has spirit and wants to live. I could never put an animal like that down.

Hang in there and please post what is going on..

Vanessa

I found the disabled rabbits info from Coco's post and am putting it here. I hope Chris does not mind!

disabledrabbits.com. I so thought of Coco when I was looking at some of the other buns on there. I saw a little one called Dolly who has a cart, she also has paralysis in her back legs and she is another awesome little girl. I am so glad I found the page, there are loving and generous people everywhere looking after bunnies who are different but still awesome. I have put the link here to the page on facebook but not sure if you´ll see.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=598137090264620&set=o.158502057671071& type=2&theater

You can check this out and this is a good start with alot of information!

Vanessa

So the vet called and said the blood test is about $150, so I'm taking him in today. Trying to rule things out before making any solid decisions. Thanks for the link, I looked it up on FB and asked some questions, waiting to hear back!

One thing I forgot to mention...now that he has limited use of his leg, he can't clean his ears. He allows me to put his sweet floppy ear to his mouth so he can groom the lower portion but he can't get in there, and it is backed up, but he won't let me anywhere near it and of course I don't want him to get stressed and seize. Oh btw he had another seizure this morning, this time he lost control of his bladder and like a firehose sprayed my kitchen :/ poor baby. Any ideas on how to get his ears cleaned w/o causing him stress??

So the vet called and said the blood test is about $150, so I'm taking him in today. Trying to rule things out before making any solid decisions. Thanks for the link, I looked it up on FB and asked some questions, waiting to hear back!

One thing I forgot to mention...now that he has limited use of his leg, he can't clean his ears. He allows me to put his sweet floppy ear to his mouth so he can groom the lower portion but he can't get in there, and it is backed up, but he won't let me anywhere near it and of course I don't want him to get stressed and seize. Oh btw he had another seizure this morning, this time he lost control of his bladder and like a firehose sprayed my kitchen :/ poor baby. Any ideas on how to get his ears cleaned w/o causing him stress??

You know, I think Coco's owner helps her with this. Let me check out her blog and see how she deals with it.. I'll try to check it out tonight and see what she says... if not, I'm going to be speaking with a vet Monday. I can ask as well and get a good answer... I guess there was nothing on the disabled rabbits site?

Actually I just went there and looked and VOILA!

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/ear-care.html

Ear Care and the Disabled Rabbit
An important part of rabbit hygiene that many disabled rabbit owners overlook is ear care. Many disabled rabbits, due to their disabilities, are no longer able to clean their ears. Lop-eared rabbits especially need help keeping their ears clean. Similar to how we manually clean our ears when there is buildup, rabbits need ear buildup managed. When they are no longer able to do it, we must help.

What to Use

A simple, long-stemmed cotton swap will work well for ear cleaning. The picture on the right shows the difference in length between regular cotton swabs and long-stemmed cotton swabs. We recommend the longer ones as they allow for better reach into a rabbit's long ears. They can be purchased very inexpensively from most online veterinary supply stores.

A great alternative to cotton swabs is an ear wax remover such as this one, which conveniently has a light attached to help you see inside your rabbit's ears. The LED light does not heat up, and so is safe for your rabbit. There is a gentle cup at the end for easily scooping out wax. In all, this is a great, easy-to-use alternative to help you keep your disabled rabbit's ears clean. These can be found for sale online or at medical supply stores.

If you do not have one of the pre-lit ear cleaners recommended above, we recommend considering a headlamp to help you see. When cleaning a rabbit's ears, it is often very difficult to see inside the ear and spot buildup while also managing to restrain your rabbit and use the cotton swab. A headlamp goes around the top of your head, with the light resting on your forehead. The light can be angled downwards and directly into your rabbit's ear as you look inside them to clean. You may look a bit silly, but we find that it is a great help. These headlamps can be purchased at most sports stores or major stores such as Wal-Mart or Target in the camping or flashlight section.
How to Do It
Insert a cotton swab into the outer part of your rabbit's ear. Some people lightly wet the cotton part of the swab to reduce fuzz.
Press the cotton swab gently against the inside of the ear underneath a wax buildup.
Scoop under the wax buildup gently with the tip of the swab in a rolling motion.
Drag the buildup outwards until it is free of the ear.
Repeat as necessary.
Precautions and Tips
Try to make ear cleaning a gentle and non-forceful experience for your rabbit. Making them feel comfortable will make the process of cleaning easier and make the overall experience more pleasurable for you and your rabbit.
While you are cleaning your rabbit's ears, check for any unusual buildup, redness or discharge. Consult your veterinarian if your rabbit's ears look sore, scaly or have any black discharge. This may be a sign of mites or other type of infection.
Be careful not to push any wax deeper into the ear as this can lodge it inside and cause damage to the sensitive inner part of the ear.
Do not touch or enter the ear canal or any areas that are not immediately visible.
Rabbit's ears contain a fragile blood vessel system with many veins running through them. Be cautious not to pinch or scratch them.
Do not pour water or anything else directly into your rabbit's ears. There are cleaning solutions available to help you with cleaning, but talk with your veterinarian about how to use them properly.

They also have Rabbits in Diapers... which might help if Toby has another seizure..

Diapering your rabbit is another option for preventing urine scald by attempting to keep your rabbit as dry and as free of urine as possible. Diapering is a fairly easy process, but it will take some time to master. Smaller bunnies may need preemie diapers, or perhaps newborn diapers (depending on their weight). Try to find the size that will work best for your rabbit. There are some brands that contain a leak-detecting strip on them that will turn a different color when the diaper is wet. This can help you to know when to change the diaper. Regardless, be sure to check your rabbit's diaper often, especially for droppings. Do not allow your rabbit to sit in a diaper full of droppings for any extended length of time as this can actually cause 'fecal scald.'

In conjunction with bladder expression, diapering is a great way to help keep your rabbit clean and dry to prevent urine scald.

Here is a great instructional video on how to diaper a disabled rabbit, featuring Princess Jasmine the bunny:

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/urine-scald.html

I'm glad I looked!

Vanessa

Thank you soooooooo much for that info, I really appreciate it!! It is overwhelming having a disabled bunny and trying to find the best, easiest least intrusive methods is exhausting! Toby had his ears cleaned at the vet and now that they are cleaner, i can keep up with it better now, and while we wait for his test results, I can more effectively express his bladder...my concerns are his seizures which ALWAYS occur when bathing his feet and rear and expressing his bladder, but these are things I need to do in order to keep him clean, dry and comfy and sore free. It's hard to factor in the cleaning vs seizure route, but I feel neglectful if I don't clean him daily. Thank you again for that great info, that was super awesome of you!!!

Hey no problem. I would check out the video they have on their disabled Holland /Mini Lop Bonnie. I just about wanted to cry. She was only 11 months old when she broke her spine. They have video of her prior to the accident and then after. They show how much they are doing for her and how great she is living while disabled and it's great. Once again, I had a paralyzed mother, so I know life just doesn't end because you can't walk. Life just changes and you have to make adjustments and sure some things take a bit more time, but heck as we get older it will anyway!

Here is the video link [ame]http://youtu.be/8MtMcqSzNg4[/ame]

Keep us posted on Toby!!!

Vanessa

Thank you for that video, that was something really sweet to watch! I wish that Toby didn't have hip dysplasia bc he is in so much pain all the time, and it prevents him from hopping w/o, well, pain. Bonnie is "fortunate" in that she appears to have one good leg? I may be wrong though...I am hoping to figure out some wheeled contraption, but I'm afraid that since he still has feeling and mobility that the wheeled cart might not work. Thoughts?

We put him back on Tramadol since obviously that was not causing him his seizures, and as of today, he has not had one that I have noticed. I am scared to death of him having them, I have read it can kill them, cause permanent brain damage etc plus it is just awful to not be able to do anything other than comfort him while he is going through one. Sigh.

Thanks for all the kind words and all the help...keep you posted :)

I know what you mean, I have a chihuahua that has knee dysplasia or luxating patella. He will be fine one day and then for a week he was limping, could not walk, was crying. I take him to the vet. He has a grade one, so it will pop back in but it's waiting for it to pop back in that is the killer. I hate to see him in pain when he is experiencing knee dysplasia. At least it has not progressed at this point in time to hip dysplasia. And also for the breed of dog he is, Chihuahua, knee and hip dysplaisa is highly common.

I think the cart would work. Why not give it a try. Heck you've got nothing to lose, right???

I know what you mean about seizures. I have two cousins that have Epilepsy. My aunt that had the brain tumor had to be put on Tramadol. They wanted to put me on it for severe headaches I was having after a bad car accident. Seizures can cause the same thing in animals basically it can cause in humans, believe it or not. After my aunt finally started to go into liver failure, she started having multiple seizures that led to brain damage which eventually killed her. It was the liver damange that started it all however, but I know what you mean. We are all powerless when ever someone has a seizure. There is not one thing we can do about it other than watch and try to stop them from swallowing their tongue or seriously hurting themselves. If they have found the balance of Tramadol that works, then you should be ok. I heard it was really a good seizure medication.

My cousin and some other friends have been on Phenobarbital. It can be used both in humans and rabbits. In Rabbits they use the elixar/liquid. You can also ask your vet about Potassium Bromide. It can be used in conjunction with Phenobarb for a better effect to control seizures. Phenobarbital has been used for over 20 years for seizures and epilipesy treatment and works pretty well. If you find the Tramadol isn't work as well as you think please speak to the vet about Phenobarb and the Potassium Bromide combo.

I hope this helps!

Vanessa

Ok, test results came back positive for E. Cunili? So Encephalitis. Sigh. But we have a diagnosis and a possible treatment plan for 30 days to see if it helps. I have no idea what this is, how he got it, or why...if any of you have any insight I would appreciate it. How about care? Does it change, will his condition get worse? Will it kill him?

Here's some info I found:

Encephalitis is a diseased condition characterized by inflammation of the brain. It may be accompanied by spinal cord and/or meningeal involvement. When the meningea is involved, the condition is clinically referred to as meningoencephalitis – which is literally a combination of two known diseased states: meningitis - inflammation of the meninges, the protective membrane that covers the brain and spinal cord; and encephalitis – sudden and severe (acute) inflammation of the brain.

Inflammation is usually caused by an infectious agent, viral or bacterial, or by the patient's own immune system. Bacteria may spread to the brain through the bloodstream, through the ears, or through other body systems. The nervous system is primarily involved, but other organs may be involved as well.

This condition is fairly common in rabbits. Lop-eared rabbits may be more likely to show signs of otitis (ear infection) with subsequent meningeal/brain involvement. Dwarf breeds are at increased risk, along with older rabbits, and immunosuppressed (low immunity) rabbits.

I hope your bun gets better.

Here is a full write up on E cunili:

When we first began to encounter rabbits with diminished control of the hindquarters, the assumption was that back injury, most likely from improper handling, was the cause. Although a rabbit's skeletal structure makes it very possible to suffer a broken back, this has not been the leading cause of paralysis in our foster homes. Since our fosterers have collectively rescued and lived with well over two-thousand rabbits, and our members across the country report their rabbits' health problems to us, we can report back to our readers from this growing database.

How Does a Rabbit Become Disabled?

Neurological impairment--in the form of partial or complete paralysis, loss of coordination, seizures, and head tilt-- has diverse causes. Besides trauma to the head or back, causes may include strokes (see page 9); tumors; bacterial infections--of the inner ear, brain, spine, lungs, bones, or joints; protozoan infections; viruses; nematodes; toxins; degenerative disease; and even osteoporosis.

Probably the most common but least recognized cause of rabbit paralysis is protozoal infection. A disease that has taken its toll on many rabbits across the U.S. is Encephalitozoonosis. The organism that causes it is a protozoan parasite called Encephalitozoon cuniculi, or in short E. cuniculi.

The Long Search

In 1989 I knew of 25 paraplegic rabbits. One of them was my own beloved Phoebe. When autopsies on several rabbits failed to show identifiable causes we started calling it the "mystery disease" or "old-bunny paralysis."

Dr. Carolynn Harvey began to follow all possible leads. During the next two years, we recorded every case of paralysis reported by our members across the county and noted in particular the cases in which bacterial infection had been ruled out. We tested blood and urine from our own rabbits and ran diagnostic tests for toxoplasmosis, corona viruses, lead poisoning, and many others.

Rediscovering an Old Disease

We asked for help from neuro-pathologists. When paralyzed rabbits died, Dr. Harvey sent brain tissue to Dr. Richard Evans in Southern California. He donated time and materials and electron microscopy.

By January 1991 the only positive identification that had ever turned up was Encephalitozoon cuniculi. Dr. Evans identified the organism early, but we did not realize the full significance until much later.

Most veterinary manuals and research labs say that these parasites do not usually present a problem in live animals and are found only incidentally at necropsy in animals who have died from other causes. Upon perusal, however, we noted an important difference between our house rabbits and rabbits being used in laboratory research. Our rabbits are much older. Most HRS members, with the aid of improved veterinary medicine, have kept their rabbits alive into their senior years. Most rabbits in laboratory settings are under two years old. Perhaps E. cuniculi would indeed cause problems if all rabbits were routinely kept until an older age.

Since we suspected a particular agent to be responsible for the rabbit disease, we decided to monitor the health of a large number of rabbits over a long period of time and see if there was a correlation. We needed a way to identify the rabbits who had the parasites, so that we could keep records and watch them.

The Right Test

Dr. Drury Reavill of the Sacramento area spent a day making phone calls and tracking down the right test for us. Knowing our philosophy as an animal-welfare organization, she found a reliable non-destructive test conducted by the University of Missouri. For our study, veterinarians came to our fosters homes and drew a small amount of blood from each rabbit. They also collected blood from rabbits belonging to people who wished to participate in the study. Each time a batch of 50-70 samples accumulated, the serum was shipped air-freight to the lab. The lab then checked the serum for antibodies to E. cuniculi. If antibodies are present, it indicates that the animal has been exposed to the parasite and an immune response has been initiated. The greater the infection, and the more recent, the greater the antibody quantity, or titer, will be detected. This procedure is analogous to what is done in an AIDS test.

Because E. cuniculi are protozoa, they do not respond to antibiotics in the same way as bacteria. At the present time there is no drug therapy in the United States that can destroy E. cuniculi. That is the job of the immune system. However, some animals appear to be improved or stabilized when treated with Tetracycline or Chloramphenicol.

Inside the body, immune defenses are required to rid the animal of the parasites. If the animal is compromised by other kinds of infections or by stress, then the defense system won't be adequate to fight the E. cuniculi. (e.g. "My rabbit came down with enteritis and became paralyzed." or "My rabbit got snuffles and lost the use of his hind legs.")

The Route Traveled

The parasites are ingested. From the gastrointestinal tract they move in the bloodstream to the kidneys and other organs. The parasites can replicate in the kidneys and be shed in the urine. It's only while the E. cuniculi are in the kidneys (often causing pitting and scarring) that the infected animal is contagious. Encephalitozoons can be seen in brain cells long after kidney infection has resolved (possibly because it may take longer to break through the protective barrier provided by brain blood vessels). The parasites may simply remain there without causing any more damage. However, if they try to replicate, the damage can be severe.

Neurological damage does occur at some frequency, and we're not sure whether the damage is incurred by E. cuniculi directly, through natural growth and replication, or by the immune response itself. There are many well documented diseases in animals and humans, where the immune system reacts to a reasonably non-threatening pathogen, and the immune response itself is responsible for the disease state. If this is the case with E. cuniculi, it would mean the immune destruction of neural tissue could be a chronic problem and persist long after the parasite itself has been eliminated. So, in some paralysis cases, we may be seeing only the end result a of a process which was catalyzed months or years before.

Something to note here, if you have an infected rabbit who lives with other rabbits, is that most certainly by the time you see the outward signs of clinical disease, it is well past any contagious stage. The parasites are no longer in the kidneys. However, the spores that have been shed in the urine can remain in the environment for another month. Other rabbits can pick up spores from the environment for several weeks after the infected rabbit has stopped shedding. And since many other animal species can carry and shed these parasites, a rabbit who runs on the ground outdoors is more likely to pick them up.

Encephalitozoon Cuniculi Facts Review

E. cuniculi are shed only in the urine.
Infectious period lasts only a few days to a few weeks.
The infected animal is not contagious after the E. cuniculi leave the kidneys.
E. cuniculi are carried in the blood to other parts of the body, particularly neural tissue.
Spores from infected urine can remain in the environment for a month.
The parasites can infect and be shed by many other animals but seldom cause clinical disease in other animals.
A high number of rabbits throughout the United States have been infected at some time during their life, but few come down with the clinical disease.
Animals who are compromised are more likely to manifest clinical disease.
Neurological damage can be evident long after the parasites leave the kidneys.
Necropsies seldom show active parasites in the kidneys but may show scarring where the parasites have been.
Testing positive to the parasite only means that the animal has been exposed and is putting forth an immune response. It does not mean that an otherwise healthy animal will show symptoms of the disease.
Serology tests recognize immune response but do not distinguish early infections from long term or chronic infections.
Our Own Conclusions
Even with a high titer to E. cuniculi, a rabbit will probably not become disabled. Our study shows about a 12% chance of rabbits with high titers developing neurological disorders. We have known of only a few deaths that may be directly attributable to E. cuniculi infection. Although it may be a contributing factor, it is seldom the primary cause of death.

E. cuniculi infection by itself does not usually even threaten an animal's health. When combined with other problems that strain the immune system, however, its destructive capabilities are greatly enhanced. Testing for E. cuniculi can be helpful in diagnosing rabbits with neurological disorders. When encephalitozoonosis is ruled out, concentration can be placed on other possibilities. When it is present, consideration can be placed on the synergistic effects. Precautions can be taken to protect the rabbit from undue exposure to other diseases and stress. Animals seem to have much less difficulty adjusting to loss of mobility than their humans do. Rabbits who manifest the clinical disease of encephalitozoonosis may stabilize and live comfortably for a prolonged period of time. Barlow (page 6) has lived four happy years, with animal companions and human attention, since his first symptom appeared. As with any chronic illness, our goal is to preserve life with quality.

Conclusion: Even with a high titer to E. cuniculi, a rabbit will probably not become disabled. Our study shows about a 12% chance of rabbits with high titers developing neurological disorders. We have known of only a few deaths that may be directly attributable to E. cuniculi infection. Although it may be a contributing factor, it is seldom the primary cause of death.

Rabbits who do manifest the clinical disease of Encephalitozoonosis can be stabilized and live comfortably for a prolonged period of time. Routine testing can be helpful in diagnosis. When E. cuniculi is ruled out, concentration can be placed on other possibilities. When it is present, consideration can be placed on the synergistic effects. Encephalitozoonosis by itself does not usually threaten an animal's health. When combined with other problems that strain the immune system, its destruction capabilities are greatly enhanced. On the other hand, a positive titer alone does not mean that the rabbit is terminally ill.

Our study has monitored the health of 136 rabbits from the original testing. Their present condition is illustrated in the original printed version of this article.

Barlow (left) is well known and loved in Los Angeles. He is propped upright with a rug-covered block. His symptoms began with a head tilt, followed by rear limb paralysis and incontinence. His tests were seropositive to E. cuniculi in 1991 and 1993

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-2/e-cuniculi.html

Ok, test results came back positive for E. Cunili? So Encephalitis. Sigh. But we have a diagnosis and a possible treatment plan for 30 days to see if it helps. I have no idea what this is, how he got it, or why...if any of you have any insight I would appreciate it. How about care? Does it change, will his condition get worse? Will it kill him?

Look at the article I just posted. Looks like some bunnies live a long life in the same condition Toby is in. Visit the URL to see a pic! Here is a quote: rabbits who do manifest the clinical disease of Encephalitozoonosis can be stabilized and live comfortably for a prolonged period of time. E. cuniculi infection by itself does not usually even threaten an animal's health.

Vanessa

"Conclusion: Even with a high titer to E. cuniculi, a rabbit will probably not become disabled. Our study shows about a 12% chance of rabbits with high titers developing neurological disorders. We have known of only a few deaths that may be directly attributable to E. cuniculi infection. Although it may be a contributing factor, it is seldom the primary cause of death."

Unfortunately, my Toby is in this category with hind end paralysis and seizures. Buut we are going to put him on meds for 30 days to see if it helps.

Thank you so very much for that article, that was quite something for you to find all that info and send it to me, I am grateful. Obviously I could do my own research, but I am overwhelmed and could not figure out where to start, so I appreciate you getting me started in a good direction. Phew. He is a loved bunny and so sweet and gentle, and I am so very sad he is going through all of this. Even our vet is sad saying "i love him and want him to be ok" so we have a really great people in our corner.

It's day 3 no seizures, but I have been very careful not to stress him out, which is also leading to him not being as clean as he can be. I never realized how truly terrifying it is witnessing them, and I hate to think I may be the cause of his stress = seizures.

Thank you guys for all this wonderful info, again I am so grateful to you all.

I'm so sorry your bun has been struggling and having such a difficult time. But it sounds like he's getting the best of care and is doing well despite his health problems.

E. cuniculi and encephalitis are two different things. Encephalitis is swelling of the brain, and e. cuniculi is a protozoal parasite. There are several things that can cause encephalitis in rabbits, e. cuniculi being one possibility.

It's suspected that a majority of rabbits are already carriers of EC, but in most cases the disease stays dormant and isn't manifested. Sometimes when a rabbit is under stress or a trauma happens, this can cause the EC to emerge. So it's possible your bun has had it from birth. The care needed will depend on what symptoms your bun is showing. It's also hard to know if symptoms will worsen or not, as it is different for every rabbit affected by this, but many rabbits respond well to treatment.

If only one blood test was done, it is possible that your rabbit doesn't actually have a current active infection from e. cuniculi. To find out if a rabbit is a carrier, a blood titer is done. All this does is determine if a rabbit has EC antibodies, not necessarily if there is an active infection. Usually to determine an active infection, I believe a second blood test is needed.

I don't know how your vet determined the hip dysplasia, but many of the health problems that your bun is experiencing, are symptoms of EC, including hind limb weakness, urinary incontinence, and seizures. So with those symptoms, EC is a possibility. Panacur and metacam are the meds commonly used to treat it, and panacur is considered relatively safe, so it certainly won't hurt to try treating for EC.

http://www.woodward-vets.co.uk/information/Encephalitozoon%20cuniculi.pdf

We had xrays done awhile back because of the urine scald and trying to figure out what was causing him to lose his ability to go in his litter pan, and the xrays revealed a very distinct abnormality.

He is currently on Metacam (inflammation of his hip) and Tramadol (pain) and now we are adding Panacur (canine dewormer?) His titer results came back at ranges dbl the "normal' amount, I think our vet said he was in 2400 titer range? Another blood test was done, and I will have to ask tomorrow what it was for, but it came back within normal range.

"Conclusion: Even with a high titer to E. cuniculi, a rabbit will probably not become disabled. Our study shows about a 12% chance of rabbits with high titers developing neurological disorders. We have known of only a few deaths that may be directly attributable to E. cuniculi infection. Although it may be a contributing factor, it is seldom the primary cause of death."

Unfortunately, my Toby is in this category with hind end paralysis and seizures. Buut we are going to put him on meds for 30 days to see if it helps.

Thank you so very much for that article, that was quite something for you to find all that info and send it to me, I am grateful. Obviously I could do my own research, but I am overwhelmed and could not figure out where to start, so I appreciate you getting me started in a good direction. Phew. He is a loved bunny and so sweet and gentle, and I am so very sad he is going through all of this. Even our vet is sad saying "i love him and want him to be ok" so we have a really great people in our corner.

It's day 3 no seizures, but I have been very careful not to stress him out, which is also leading to him not being as clean as he can be. I never realized how truly terrifying it is witnessing them, and I hate to think I may be the cause of his stress = seizures.

Thank you guys for all this wonderful info, again I am so grateful to you all.

While he may be in the ballpark of the hind paralysis, it only stated that a *few* deaths to it. So to me that is highly positive. Anything else to me is workable except death! :brat:

And it was no problem at all. I don't mind. I knew you were worried and wanted to see what I can find and after all I work with a rescue here in
Springfield VA so I might find something that could help us also! Besides, knowledge is power! :)

I wouldn't put yourself on the guilt trip of thinking you are the cause of his seizures. I have two cousins that have seizures. The brain is a funny thing. We only use about 10% of it, and only understand the basic areas of it. Many areas we are still in the process of learning more about and building upon the knowledge we have. Seizures are still one of those fuzzy areas.

I would still try to keep him clean since you don't want him to develop any other problems based off urine scald or anything else... do the best you can
and try to strike a happy medium. I know what you mean however because when my mother was paralyzed she would give us holy hell about trying to clean her up and change diapers, bedsheets, etc. At times she would fight us tooth and nail if she was sleeping and we didn't want to wait any longer to clean up her bed, change the sheets etc.. It's pretty delicate, but do the best you can!

Hang in there and keep us posted!

Vanessa

Sigh..Toby had a REALLY big seizure today. My husband was cleaning him up and he seized for a second, no biggie, then went completely limp, then seized again and went limp. Then went into a HUGE seizure that lasted over a minute and he began making noises that we have never heard, sounded like he was struggling to breathe and his lips were turning blue! OMG we both thought he was going to die and totally freaked out. They are getting worse. We were so hopeful the meds were working since he has gone about 5 days without one, that we noticed, but apparently this is not the case. Do any of you know if these seizures can cause asphyxiation, or death? I am so scared. Poor Toby bunny :(

That must have been so scary to see! I would assume that it could be the same for rabbits as it is for people having seizures, where there is the possibility that the tongue can block the airway. This may be what happened with your bun. Maybe your vet will have some ideas to help prevent this from happening again.

There is another med that is sometimes used to treat e. cuniculi. It's called Ponzuril. It's not as commonly used, but from what I've read, it sounds like it is much more effective. Maybe you could ask your vet about trying it. There's a brief mention of it on both these pages.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/cuniculi/pyrimethamine.htm
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/paresis.html

Latest posts

Back