Baytril and small stool.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeytonCara

Reaction score
Hello everyone! The last time Crixus had treatment for his pasteurella I had to stop his medicine two days early because his stool was becoming noticeably smaller than usual. I cut back treats and increased hay and he was fine. He just started another treatment, we are only 3 days in and his stool was small again. Should I call the vet and ask for a probiotic? I didn't give the medicine to him last night, should I completely stop until I get the stool fixed? Thank you!

I don't think stopping the antibiotic would be good, unless absolutely necessary. It would be better to try feeding hay and any of his usual dark leafy veggies, to help stimulate gut motility. And maybe stop pellets and all treats for the time being. You can use a probiotic, but even that has to be used carefully, as I have had rabbits develop a gut slowdown from it. If you use it start off with a very small amount. You could also ask your vet about a gut motility med to help with with the gut slowdown.

Thank you! I always like having some input. I wasn't sure if it was okay to completey stop pellets or not. Getting his medicine is important but obviously passing stool is too so I wasn't sure which to prioritize for the time being. I was really comfortable with his past vet, but she just left the clinic and I just switched to a new vet, being as I have never met her I always like hearing from people here, just to be a little more educated before going in. Is there a common guy motility med used in rabbits? I'll admit I don't know much about stasis or guy problems, he's always seemed to have a strong GI system the only time I hve ever seem him have a problem is while on this antibiotics, and at first he never showed any signs. This problem didn't start occurog until his 5th or 6th treatment.

It doesn't hurt anything for a rabbit to not have pellets for several days. Except them being upset about not getting them :) But you do want to make sure that the hay is being eaten really well. Then when his medication is done and you put him back on pellets, just make sure to do it gradually.

Cisapride and metoclopramide are the two that are commonly used in rabbits. But you may not even need it if cutting out pellets and treats helps his fecal poop return to normal.

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/GI_stimulation/cisapride.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/GI_stimulation/metoclopramide.htm

This link has a good explanation of GI stasis.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=484#.UZ8FPbx7LTo.twitter

I just wanted to say thanks for replying, his stool is pretty much normal. There are a few small ones but the majority is full sized! I'll keep a close eye on him though. Every morning he just looks at me like "excuse me, aren't you forgetting something?" Lol!

I know! They act like we are starving them when we don't give them their pellets, even though there might be a giant pile of hay right next to them. You would probably be ok to give him a couple pellets as a treat. Would hate for you to have a sad bunny on your hands :)

Latest posts

Back