Balthablog!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chansey

Reaction score
Hello!:biggrin2:
I'm not sure anybody will read this, but it will be nice to have a log of my life with my new pal Balthazar.

Balthazar (or Binkazar, Poopazar, etc., depending on his actions ;)) is a 4 month old greyish mini rex buck. If anybody could identify the technical term for his coat color, that'd be great, as I have compared him to pictures online and he could be a few things... I'm no expert. He's my first bunny and has stolen my heart.:inlove:

I adopted him a few weeks ago. He's already been spoiled with toys, treats, and many many Craisins. We bought him a harness and leash and he has had a ball frolicking outside (essentially him dragging me around the neighborhood. We've gotten quite a lot of attention from the neighbors.) He's a sucker for dandylion greens and his beloved clover. :clover:

He has a very curious, adventurous personality and loves attention. He's a very sweet rabbit and a fun new addition to my family. He does the most intense, high jumping binkies, and loves to Bunny 500! :bunnydance:

As for me, i'm a 20 year old nursing student from Raleigh, North Carolina. Me and my roomie, Nissy, share an apartment with Balth, although my boyfriend, Mike, spends just as much time here as I do.:hearts:

ANYWAY, here are some pictures i've gotten so far! Right now I don't have a camera, but hopefully i'll get one soon. Currently my cell phone is sufficing.:expressionless

balth3.jpg

His first photo, seen on my pal Nissy's lap.

balth2.jpg

Disapproving already.:rofl:

balth1.jpg

What's going on?

ahhhhe.jpg

Balth and Mikey :)

bunbunvest.jpg

His first outdoor adventure!!

Thanks for reading!!
-Alexandra

Wow! He is very cute!

my guess would be that he is an opal colored mini rex (does he have a fawn colored triangle behind his ears?)

welcome to the forum and to the world of bunnies! I have owned rabbits for over 10 years now and can say without a doubt that they are awesome pets!

can't wait for more stories and photos!

OPAL- The surface color of the top and sides of the body is to be a rich medium blue. The intermediate color is to be a golden fawn clearly defined over a slate-blue under color. Eyes- blue-gray
---------------------------------------
BLUE- The entire body should be a rich levi blue, which runs deep to the skin to a medium blue under color. The guard hairs cannot be a different color than the body color. Eyes are blue-gray
-----------------------------------------
LILAC- The color should be a medium gray (the color of a dove) , with a light pink tint on the surface. Eyes: Blue gray.

Thanks yall! :)
I was thinking he was opal, but there isn't much of a fawn tint to him... He's pretty standard gray, but when I part his fur the hairs are entirely white closer to his skin. Maybe he will darken as he gets older?

I appreciate the useful information! :D

He is so cute. I love mini rex buns.

I would post a picture in the rabbitry and I am sure they can tell you the coloring.

Balthazar has been a little brat today! He dumped all his pellets out and threw his bowl across the cage at some point when I was out, and his hay had been thrown -everywhere-. I've been reading on the forums about how adolescent male rabbits often bahave a little crazy sometimes, so I suppose its just his way of being a lil' rebel. He's still a sweet boy though and did many megabinkies today. :)

Here's a couple pics..

balthdrink.jpg

GLUG GLUG GLUG

balthflop.jpg

Flopped.

Thank you all for your kind comments. :wave: Take care!!

-Alexandra

Brought Balth to my dad's house where he scared the cat more than the cat scared him! (He was well protected, of course). He's got so much spunk. Unfortunately he didn't like the car ride very much. :p

Just a small update... but I love this picture!!
ohmygosh.jpg

I feel like he's getting a little chubby.. but I had read that I should feed him as much as he'll eat until he's 6 months old (now he's 4 months). Maybe he just looks a little fat? He seems very healthy and his little chubs make him even more adorable to me!!:biggrin2:

He's soooo cute! I just love his baby cheeks! It's amazing how he uses a harness. My boys won't do it! They fight it to the death!

I think he is chubby looking but if he is young and active I wouldn't worry too much right now. Are you feeding him unlimited pellets and unlimited hay? If he ate more hay than pellets he ought to even out a bit. Just how much pellets is he consuming a day? He looks about 4-5lbs but sorta hard to tell from pics alone.

Thank you!! :biggrin2: And yes i'm really happy about how the harness has worked out... He wasn't fond of it the first couple times but now he doesn't mind it at all- probably because he now knows it means he gets to have outdoor adventures!

He eats about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of pellets every day, and a decent amount of both timothy and alfalfa hay. He seems to be constantly munching on hay, now that I think about it. He gets a few Craisins daily as well. I read that at his age I should start introducing some greens, veggies, and fruits, but in small amounts so he doesn't get an upset stomach. He loves dandelion greens, clover, carrots and banana.

I may be spoiling him.. maybe that's why he's pudgy. :headsmack

I've estimated he's between 3 and 4 lbs right now, but I could be wrong.

Thanks again for your kind comments!

Hey everyone- Long time no post! I've been at the forum but pretty much lurking and learning about rabbits. :bunnyheart

Since i've last updated, I got a 3 legged hamster that I named Apples. I've had a few hamsters before (of the 4 legged variety ;P), but none of them were nearly as healthy, energetic, and sweet as this one is. It blows my mind- I bet the poor thing was stepped on by a person but she is so loving and friendly to everyone she meets. I found her at a pet store and had to rescue her.

Here's her running in her wheel (she's a great athlete despite her handicap), and then one of me holding her (not lookin too fresh i know, it was late at night what can i say)...

p5190024.jpg

p7180154.jpg

As far as Baltha-updates go, I made him a cage of those organizer shelves (thanks to you RO folks for such a brilliant idea!) It has 3 stories and he seems to love it. I even saw him binky inside the cage. Heres a picture of it:

p7180143.jpg

...although its not from a very good angle... my bad!

Balthazar has become so much more tolerant of petting, holding, and nail clipping. He is almost 8 months old now and I plan on getting him nuetered pretty soon, although his litter habits and behavior is already quite nice.

He randomly developed a dark splotch- a "broken" style spot in the center of his back. He is gray but the spot is just a darker shade. It's kinda strange, I expected him to be solid except for his white belly.

Here's some bunny pics.

p7180134.jpg

p7180126.jpg

p7180171.jpg

p5190009.jpg

"devouring" a good book!

Also here is my cat, Chansey (my username-sake), my beloved! Ain't she purdy?
p5220056.jpg

Thanks for reading!!:biggrin: Take care!!

-Alex

New pics! His fur is changing a lot lately- I suppose he is just molting, but I haven't heard of a complete color change because of that! You can see it well in this first pic.
cutied.jpg

cutie2.jpg

"Howdy, Mama!"

cutie3.jpg

Fatty Fatty Two-by-Four... (yeah, i'm working on fixing that :(...)

Lastly, here is one of my new additions, Homer the syrian hamster (yes, after Homer Simpson- he looks and acts like him to me!) He and my other hamster, Apples, have recently had a litter of pups together. They are doing well and all have homes awaiting them. :) I would post pics of the pups but I don't want to disturb Mommy Hamster.
cutie4.jpg

That's all for now, I hope everybody is doing well! I'm sort of a lurker on this forum but I read a lot of the posts and have been keeping up with a lot of yalls blogs. :)

-Alex

I'm wondering if Balth might be part mix? His whiskers are so long and not the normal curly rexy ones. hmmm.... At any rate, he is just gorgeous and glad to see another mini rex owner on the board :D I am enjoying your blog!

Perhaps you're right... looking at other Mini Rexes now I do see that he has particularly long whiskers... Some of them are "crinkled" and squiggly, though, especially around his eyes (sometimes I have to cut some stray eye whiskers so they don't curl right into his eye!).. so I suppose that could be the part mini rex in him!

Thank you for your kind words! By the way, Poe is very handsome bun!:bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back