Bad bunny!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonesy

Reaction score
My rabbit is usually very sweet but today Charlies been particularly bad! He never bites aggressively at all but today he starting digging and my bed sheet and I told him to stop and moved him an he bit me! Then I said "bad! No biting!" and he but me again! So I put him in the cage and took him out half hour later and he was being nice but then after petting him he got very still anf then starting diggingband bit me again! Is Charlie just having a bad day? What do you think the deal is?

That's exactly how my little one Cinnamon is. She does the same thing. The problem is bunnies have their good days and their bad days, and Charlies probably having a bad day.
That's easy to stop. But don't pluck or hit them in the head, that can kill them. Give them a small smack on the rear, but not enough to really hurt them, and say "No" . My rabbit has calmed down ever since I did that. She'll get in a mood every now and then, and that's what I did. Hope it helps.

Rabbits do not respond to the rear end thump (Or at least, none that I have ever heard of) because that isn't bunny language. One rabbit isn't going to go up to another rabbit and smack it on the rear when it does something it shouldn't.

When Charlie bites, press down firmly on the head to it's too the floor, but don't slam it down or anything, and firmly say no.

Question: How old is he and is he neutered? Intact males can be more nippy especially if they are younger. While getting him neutered might not totally fix the problem, it can help with the cause.

He does need to learn that biting won't get him what he wants. That would be your attention or getting down or even getting a treat or something.
Once you have figured out what he wants, don't give it to him when he bites or nips. If he wants attention, ignore him. If he wants down, you need to hold him and keep him with you until he calms down. If he is doing it for a treat, don't give the treat.

Having him on a pillow is good so he can dig, but not get you. This makes it easier for you to keep him there and work with him without getting injured. Long sleeves are also good to avoid scratches.
Telling him No in a firm voice (not yelling, but not soft either), will help him to know that no means no. He does need to know that you are in control and won't tolerate that behaviour. Rabbits do need direction and discipline sometime too or they can become little terrors. It does not have to be harsh, but it has to be enough or something they don't want for them to understand that they did something that is not good.

It is also important to look at what you are doing. Rabbits do communicate with body language and learning to read that is as important as them learning to read us and learn people language. He could be giving warning that say he is uncomfortable and if you get closer you may get bitten. Warnings are good as they are telling you something. If you stop the warning, they can just bite.

I have a rabbit who is a bit nippy when I hold him. He is just over a year old and intact as well as not liking to be held much. I hold him so he is facing away from me while still supporting him. This keeps him being able to nip me and does help when he struggles.

Latest posts

Back