Babs is pulling Benji's fur out

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenjiAndBabs

Reaction score
As some of you may know, a few months ago, Ibought two New Zealand cross rabbits. One 6 week old, and one 14 weekold, both supposedly males, but I am unsure.

Lately, the younger rabbit, Babs has been pulling Benji's fur out onhis back. I have witnessed this a few times, so I know it isn't Benjidoing this.

I do have two hutches, but the problem is, Benji really hates being alone.

I let Benji in the pen, and put Babs in the hutch. But Benji just sitsouside the hutch, and when it is the otherway round, Babs isn'tinterested in Benji. So Babs doesn't really need a friend, but Benjidoes. He follows her round all the time, and we left them in seperatehutches for a while, but Benji didn't eat or drink or move.

This is worrying me. I've thought about getting another rabbit for Benji, but I'm not sure.
Can anyone help?

Thanks, Benji and Babs' Mom.

How old are they now? And are theyneutered? If so, you could take Benji on "dates" to visitshelter rabbits and see if they get along. It's harder whenthey aren't neutered. Also, if they aren't neutered now, thefur-pulling could be hormonal.

Is Babs aggressive when he pulls the fur out or is he justovergrooming? Loki rips fur out of Mocha when he's beingunusually mean. There might be some kind of bonding issue youcould help them out with.

They are 14 weeks and 22 weeks. They aren't neutured yet.

Babs is aggressive when he pulls out Benji's fur, he jumps on top ofhim and scrabbles. Benj doesnt fight back though. They are freindsthough, they snuggle up together all the time.

Edit: Typo

Are they both boys?Or male and female? Either way you need to seperate them now, if theyare both boys they will start to seriously fight and it could get sobad that they can severely injur one another, if they are male andfemale they will mate and it is way to early for the female to havebabies.

~Amy

Opps just read that you are "unsure" of the sex,so I would definitely seperate them now, if one is a female she mayalready be pregnant which is dangerous.

~Amy

That's what I am planning to do, but Benjidoesn't eat, drink or move without another bunny. I took him to mycousins rabbit's hutch, and they got along fine. It was a spayedfemale, and they got along great.

I am thinking I should get a spayed female friend for Benji.

BenjiAndBabs wrote:
That's what I am planning to do, but Benji doesn't eat,drink or move without another bunny.
:( Aww poor baby.

If you decide to get a new bunny I would take Benji around on dates atyour local shelter, that way he can pick out his new best buddy.

Or you can get them both fixed, that always solves that problem :)

~Amy

thisis going to sound way stupid but should work

Get Benji a Stuffy toyto snuggle and beat up , at leastthe stuffy cant be seriouslyhurt , It should sleve anystress and strife about beingalone. but I agree even if they are male and female, or male and male they need be seperatedfor eaches safety.

BenjiAndBabs wrote:
He knows stuffed toys aren't real
Ya I tried that with Nimue. They definitely know what is real and what isnt :) Smart little buggers :D

Maybe you can seperate them and place their cages rightnextto each other and then just let them out for play time when you canwatch them. Or will Benji not eat if Babs isnt in the cage?

~Amy

Latest posts

Back