Babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
callierob wrote:
Also, if I want to haveanother litter, when is a good time to mate the bunnies again?

What breed of rabbit do you have? It is not uncommon to breedsmaller sized rabbits at 5-6 months, when they are sexually mature andbefore large fat deposits formaround their reproductiveorgans. Very large breeds of rabbits reach sexual maturitylater.

Breeders generally don't breed a doe more than 4 times peryear. This would mean waiting until approximately 8 weekswhen the litter is weaned before breeding again (as long as the rabbitis in good health).

If you are worried the kits are not getting enough milk when theynurse, place the doe on a towel on your lap and put the babies underher to nurse. This is preferable to hand feeding because thekits can easily aspirate the liquid and die of pneumonia.

Pam

Carolyn wrote:
Many females develop uterine cancer at the age of 5, some get it asearly as 3 years old if not fixed. PamNock would be the one to ask thespecifics about that, but it is usually recommended that the littleones are fixed for their well being if you don't wish to show or breedthem. Any time after 6 months is safe to get the rabbit fixed.

Sorry to bother you, but does this mean that females generally don'tlive to the expected 7-10 years? It seems like they wouldn't if so manyhave uterine cancer at 5...:(
Is there any way to tell if a doe has been spayed? the adoption agencywe got her from said she was...but I would like to make sure for my ownpeace of mind...

Not sure if you guys are aware, but the original post is over a year old ;)

LoveMyBunnies wrote:
Sorry to bother you, but does this mean that females generally don'tlive to the expected 7-10 years? It seems like they wouldn't if so manyhave uterine cancer at 5...:(
Is there any way to tell if a doe has been spayed? the adoption agencywe got her from said she was...but I would like to make sure for my ownpeace of mind...

Actually *benign*, non-fatal tumors are far more common than uterinecancer -- which can be fatal. The benign tumors may causeother health problems, but often go unnoticed until they are very large.

Unless you shave the does belly, and can detect a scar (which you oftencannot), there is no way to tell for certain. It can bedifficult to actually palpate the uterus or distinguish it from otherorgans.

Your vet may be able to detect the uterus in a sonogram, however, Ihave seen vets make critical errors on sonogram readings, so don'tconsider it an absolute.

Pam

Thank you for the information. Is theresomewhere that lists the symptoms of benign tumor problems and uterinecancer so that we can keep an eye out as she gets older? (she's about 11/2 now).

Back