Available Brands of Wood Pellets and/or Crumble Products

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WhyMista wrote:
Anyone know anyone who sells woody pellet or equine fresh near the fort worth tx area?
Tractor supply has a brand that they sell - I forget what it is - but I just bought some for $5.29 for a 40 pound bag on black Friday.

You can go to www.mytsc.com to find a location near you.

For a while, I as using Cozy 'n' Fresh from TSC. I believe it is made by the same company that makes Equine Pine? The package claims to have added "activated carbon for odor control," and it did smell a bit different to me than Feline Pine. The bunnies didn't seem to mind.

Here in the Kansas City metro area, it is selling for $6.49 for a 20lb bag.

The other brands of horse stall bedding there did not specify on the package if they were kiln dried or not, and I did not recognize the name.

(After deciding that I don't like shopping at a store that sells live animals, I did switch back to Feline Pine. I can buy the name-branded FP at Target here, for $8.34 for 20lbs. This is less expensive than even the generic ExquisiCat being sold by PetsMart. Every once in a while, there will be a $1 off manufacturer's coupon, and those times, I will buy every bag they have on the shelf. I also get a 5% discount for paying with my Target card.)

TinysMom wrote:
WhyMista wrote:
Anyone know anyone who sells woody pellet or equine fresh near the fort worth tx area?
Tractor supply has a brand that they sell - I forget what it is - but I just bought some for $5.29 for a 40 pound bag on black Friday.

You can go to http://www.mytsc.com to find a location near you.
Thanks. I checked their website but could not find it on the website so I figured they might have stopped selling it.

Now lets hope they have one nearby;)

WhyMista wrote:
TinysMom wrote:
WhyMista wrote:

You can go to http://www.mytsc.com to find a location near you.
Thanks. I checked their website but could not find it on the website so I figured they might have stopped selling it.

Now lets hope they have one nearby;)

I recommend calling the TSC and asking if they carry Woody Pet, Equine Pine, Guardian.....or an equivalent wood pellet product for horse stalls/bedding.
They don't always list it on their websites.

Tractor Supply Co. Store #461
3919 TELEPHONE RD - LAKE WORTH TX 76135
(817) 237-5222

I've been using Kaytee's Total Comfort for the litter. However it's getting expensive and very dusty. We change 4 litter pans every other day. I've been reading about the Horse wood pellets. I just found Woody Pet at a local store 30lb for $7.99. Tractor Supply has Equine Fresh 40lb for $6.49. Is their a difference in quality and which is better for the buns?

I've started using Stampede brand horse bedding pellets and love them. They absorb odor so well and give the bunny room a nice "outdoorsy" smell. Even my outside trash can where I dump used litter doesn't smell anymore. I paid $8 for a 40 lb. bag, which will last about a month with my 4 bnunnies.

I prefer Wood stove pellets over Woody Pet now.Stove Pellets aremore readily available and is cheaper for a lager bag. I hadWoody Pet for a few years and I notice they don't seem to be as absorbent as the stove pellets. The wood stove pellets are larger in size, and really fluff up into a light colored sawdust when they get wet. Woody Pet turned into a dark stain and cakesin my litter boxand the bottom is still damp. My Woody Pet is a smaller pellet andhas morecrumbled and broken pieces. Woody Pet (though it is very good) does not absorb odour as well as the wood stove pellet.

In a rating as good, better, best.

I would give Woody Pet ... Better.
And Wood Stove Pellets ... Best.

Hey Jim,did you have a chance to try out any Wood Stove Pellets and compare them to Woody Pet.

Pet_Bunny wrote:
I prefer Wood stove pellets over Woody Pet now.Stove Pellets aremore readily available and is cheaper for a lager bag. I hadWoody Pet for a few years and I notice they don't seem to be as absorbent as the stove pellets. The wood stove pellets are larger in size, and really fluff up into a light colored sawdust when they get wet. Woody Pet turned into a dark stain and cakesin my litter boxand the bottom is still damp. My Woody Pet is a smaller pellet andhas morecrumbled and broken pieces. Woody Pet (though it is very good) does not absorb odour as well as the wood stove pellet.

In a rating as good, better, best.

I would give Woody Pet ... Better.
And Wood Stove Pellets ... Best.

Hey Jim,did you have a chance to try out any Wood Stove Pellets and compare them to Woody Pet.
For some reason, wood stove pellets are scarce in Florida. I wonder why, lol. I love the horse bedding pellets though.

slavetoabunny wrote:
For some reason, wood stove pellets are scarce in Florida. I wonder why, lol. I love the horse bedding pellets though.

:rofl:

I wonder if there is any difference between wood stove pellets and horse bedding pellets. They woulddo the same thing if it was absorbing moisture or burning in a stove. I wonder if both would have the same grade ofsafety if there was such a thing.

Our 40 lb. wood stove pellets is $6 - $7 a bag if I remember correctly. It's been a long time since I last got some.

Thanks I'll look into wood pellet also. I think Lowes carry it. Will it cause any harm if the buns chew on it? That will be my main concern.

hln917 wrote:
Will it cause any harm if the buns chew on it?
They might want to do a taste test but they will find it is only wood, so they will eventually ignore it. The thing you might beconcerned about,is some bunnies like to dig in it.

Pet_Bunny wrote:
The thing you might beconcerned about,is some bunnies like to dig in it.
This might sound ignorant on my part, but what would happen if they do dig in it? Please don't tell me it would ignite!:?

No it won't ignite, unless you set a match to it. :D

The bunnies will just make a mess and spill pellets all overthe floor. That's where the "bunny slave" comes in mind.

Phew! That's when the vaccum comes in place!

Perhaps I should have gotten a pellet stove instead. Think I can recycle the pellets then?:biggrin2:

Pet_Bunny wrote:
slavetoabunny wrote:

:rofl:

I wonder if there is any difference between wood stove pellets and horse bedding pellets. They woulddo the same thing if it was absorbing moisture or burning in a stove. I wonder if both would have the same grade ofsafety if there was such a thing.

Our 40 lb. wood stove pellets is $6 - $7 a bag if I remember correctly. It's been a long time since I last got some.

From the reading I've done on the Internet, I'm pretty sure they're exactly the same product, just packaged differently for different applications.

As an example,I bought abag of "Firemaster" brandwood stove pellets ata local building supply. The local tack and feed sells a brand of horse stall pellets called "Pinemaster." I'm not 100% certain, but something tells me both of these products are manufactured by the same company... ;)

Rue

Pet_Bunny wrote:

I think you'll find that a lot of thecompanies that make pellets for bedding also make pellets for stoves.

There are also two kinds of stove pellets....hardwood and softwood.
The drying process make both safe to use for the buns.

I wasn't too impressed with the last load of Woody Pet that I got.
Over the past few years, Woody Pet has become very inconsistent.
More crumble than pellets, less absorbent, less odor control.
The look and feel even changes from batch to batch....sometime upsetting my buns to the point of refusing to use their litter pans.
Very disappointing to say the least.

I found a site that gives some pretty good info about stove pellets.
I've got a dealer about 10 miles from me.
http://woodpellets.com/

However, I still have about a dozen bags for Woody Pet to use up.

JimD wrote:
I wasn't too impressed with the last load of Woody Pet that I got.
Over the past few years, Woody Pet has become very inconsistent.
More crumble than pellets, less absorbent, less odor control.
The look and feel even changes from batch to batch....sometime upsetting my buns to the point of refusing to use their litter pans.
Very disappointing to say the least.
Good to know.Thanks Jim.

Just got back from the Tractor Supply store and purchased a bag of Equine Fresh. Figure I'll mix a little in the current litter to get them used to it before we switch over completely. 40lb for $6.49.

Back