Are these rabbits doomed? 150 $2 rabbits on craigslist

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philodice

Reaction score
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/grd/669872865.html

I responded to the add and went to the farm where there were about 100-200 rabbits. Norweigian black, white, and black and white.
I bought 2...my first bunnies, because my blood went cold at the price. Do $2 rabbits have a chance at happiness? He says they are too big for snake food and most people tell him they will be pampered pets. I know that's what they say, but I've seen some pretty large snakes and at prices less than a chicken, in a time of soaring food prices, who wouldn't want a 'pet' for their crock pot?

So I loaded 2 into my carrier and left. Since then I have learned that rabbits like to have servants, not owners :D and I don't think that most people can deal with a highly intelligent sentient being who DOESN'T LIKE THEM treating it like a pet. I think I can deal with it. I am, after all, being used as a dove perch currently. Rabbit slave isn't too far off. And I thought doves where not very bright at first, too.

The ad says they are New Zealand rabbits - they are very often raised and bought for meat. 100-200 rabbits is a lot of rabbits... I do truly hope that some of them, like the two you took, get good homes... it's just so terribly sad.

Thats heartbreaking. If hes raising NZs and sellng them for $2 a piece, you know what theyre being sold for :(It just breaks my heart.

I used to have a dove! We lost her just recently. She was 12 or 13 we think.

I wish people wouldn't sell them like this! it just breaks my heart.

philodice wrote:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/grd/669872865.html

I responded to the add and went to the farm where there were about 100-200 rabbits. Norweigian black, white, and black and white.
I bought 2...my first bunnies, because my blood went cold at the price. Do $2 rabbits have a chance at happiness? He says they are too big for snake food and most people tell him they will be pampered pets. I know that's what they say, but I've seen some pretty large snakes and at prices less than a chicken, in a time of soaring food prices, who wouldn't want a 'pet' for their crock pot?

So I loaded 2 into my carrier and left. Since then I have learned that rabbits like to have servants, not owners :D and I don't think that most people can deal with a highly intelligent sentient being who DOESN'T LIKE THEM treating it like a pet. I think I can deal with it. I am, after all, being used as a dove perch currently. Rabbit slave isn't too far off. And I thought doves where not very bright at first, too.

That is horrible, I can't believe someone would just sell their rabbits to help buy some stupid equipment. Especially for so low.

I hope they all get as great home as you have given these two.

I was wondering if this isn't some kind ofprivate home/ranchfor children who are adjucated or have special needs. Perhaps they were raising therabbits to sell anyway. Now they either lost interest or it just got overwhelming for them and they need the funds for recreational or therapy equipment. Just a thought. I do agree the "cheapness" of the rabbits makes it less likely that will end up as pets.

I live in Prescott and wish I could save one, but I am out of space with my 8 1/2 year old foster bunny and my 3 others :(.

you hit the nail on the head, philodice!!

Poor bunnies!!

at least your two's are SAFE!!

those are simply irresponsible, carelesspeople. they don't care WHERE the bunnies end up!!

we should help the bunnies by at least spreading the word about this!!

Hi! I might be able to help if we can arrange transport to DC area. I live 45 mins from DC so if we can get one maybe two here that would be awesome! I still have to check with my parents and all, but I will try to help!!

bigsis7 wrote:
Hi! I might be able to help if we can arrange transport to DC area. I live 45 mins from DC so if we can get one maybe two here that would be awesome! I still have to check with my parents and all, but I will try to help!!

oh, bigsis!! that is totally cool of you :) yay!!

^_^

bigsis7 wrote:

if we need help with arranging transport...---WHERE do we need to post this???

Does anybody have emails, phone numbers or websites to Rescue Groups in Arizona??? or the House Rabbit Society in Arizona??? to see, if they could take this on???

thanxx :)

philodice:

what conditions arethe bunnies in??? are they being well cared for at least???

I can't imagine that guy keeps the bunnies in any air condition...argh!!

I'm trying to figure out, what I can do to help those bunnies...

any advise???

Coco0457 wrote:
I'm trying to figure out, what I can do to help those bunnies...

any advise???
Find somebody with a large fenced lot or yard, dig a big hole (or 10) and let 'em loose. Except you have to separate the boys from the girls or neuter the boys, the latter can be a 'goal' oriented fundraiser, should only cost a couple of grand with vets offering 'cut rate' services maybe in exchange for great PR.

InAZ, you will have togive them the option of trees and/or other shelter from the sun (there's a particular part of the yard/lot that it's best to establish their housing, although I don't remember what it is), cool holes in the ground and the bestpredator proofing one can muster. (Hidey boxes, haystacks, tunnels, etc). Add a trough, throw inbales of hay and distribute flats of veggies when available. (Check out the Great Lakes Sanctuary videos on YouTube).

They won't be entirely safe, but most will live happily ever after. Beats the alternative.

Although don't think they all need rescuing. I bet plenty are goingas pets to people wanting to help and not being able to afford the pricey rescue adoption fees.

sas:?

I just saw this post and tried to open the listing and it states its been flagged for removal? That won't help the little guys.. Philodice do you have the address info for these guys? Thinking we need to call the Human Society to see if they can intercede..

Yes $2 rabbits can have good pet lives. I bought 2 at a small animal auction for $5 each. The seller got $3 each.

Pet shops can buy them.

If the guy wanted to sell them for meat it would have been easier for him to sell the whole lot to a meat packer.

Most snake owners do not feed live food because a live rabbit, rat, or mouse will fight back to avoid being dinner. No responsible snake owner would risk their expensive pet by feeding live just because it's only $2.

Brambley Hedge is full, East Valley Rabbit is full, Arizona Humane Societies are full, along with every shelter in the Valley & Tuscon. Rabbits are being dumped at the shelters and euthanized daily in the Valley, due to lack of homes and irrisponsible people.

Also, there is no House Rabbit Society here in AZ.

As sad as it is, I highly doubt there is much help for these bunnies besides individual people going and paying the $2 for their pet bunny :?.

Baby Juliet wrote:
Most snake owners do not feed live food because a live rabbit, rat, or mouse will fight back to avoid being dinner. No responsible snake owner would risk their expensive pet by feeding live just because it's only $2.
Unfortunatly, some people have no problem with buying a live rabbit and killing it to feed a snake, if that will save them money on frozen.

Someone on another board made a good point that they thought that the person selling the rabbits was doing it for his own gain. No charity involved. Sometimes things can sound legit. Sometimes I can be a bit naive. Anyway, it doesn't seem that there is much that can be done for these rabbits. Very sad.

Latest posts

Back