Are piddle pads safe?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lionrex

Reaction score
Well bunnie comes inside a lot now (with it being -5+ degrees out at night) she is not yet litterd trained (i keep trying lol) but i was thinking about useing piddle pads made for dogs to help teach her to use a litter box. I have used piddle pads before but i was always there to supervise while she was freeromeing. But this is the first time not supervised. So i was wondering are these piddle pads safe? (like if she maybie chews on it) http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+32+21670&pcatid=21670

Hi there, i've had my bunny for 5 yearsish and i've always lined her litter tray with a piddle pad then the litter on top to keep the tray cleaner (i use a flat puppy style tray, because it's easier for her) she's on occasion ripped through the litter and ripped up the pad to use as a liner for her igloo (don't ask me why she's nesting at her age after being desexed) and it has never been a problem. I just buy cheap ones they are similar to nappy pads - i think as long as your bun doesn't eat a whole pad it should be okay - they really tend to chew on everything don't they :)

I wouldn't feel safe with those. It's hard to tell what exactly they are made out of, but if it's similar to what they use in diapers then there could be a lot of chemicals and synthetic materials in it. That means they might hurt a rabbit if it eats some of the piddle pad.

There are lots of alternatives. My favorite litter is wood pellets, which are extremely absorbent and are very cheap if you buy them from farm stores instead of the pet store brands like Feline Pine. I buy ones that are packaged for horse stalls.

Latest posts

Back