Are my rabbits too light?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your scale may be off- mine is usually off by apound or so. Mocha didn't even register as one pound, but according tothe vet she's close to two. I'm not sure how to tell if they are tooskinny, possibly if you feel the vertebrae really well?

If they seem underweight, you could take them to a vet. There might be some underlying cause.

They dont look underweight - infact, they lookquite chunky. My scales are very cheap, that is probably why. I'mtaking them the vets soon for a checkup so I can weigh them then.

Thanks.

To weigh a rabbit more accurately on a hummanscale weigh yourself first. Then hold the rabbit in your arms and stepon the scale again with the both of you. After that use the followingformula.

Weight of both of you - Weight of you = Weight of your rabbit

-Ashley & Flopsy

Added: And of course, for this to work you have to be using a accurate scale.

I've been useing our "5 lb limit"postal scale to weigh our bun every few weeks since March.(she's up to 3.4 lbs... and was exactly same weight on the vetsscaleright after). The hard part is getting the bunto sit still for a sec. First I put a big plasticbowl on the scale... turn it on and it sets itself at zero ounces(including the bowl). Then sit the bun in the bowl... waitfor the numbers to settle. Then only have to convert thenumbers from ounces to pounds. It's kind of neat to keeptrack of it. Hope that helps.. :) LA

Latest posts

Back