are greens or vegetables major

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucylocket

Reaction score
hi all

just wondering

look lucy to the vets the other week and he said lucy

was getting abit overweight

is it so assential that she has veggies

as hes told me just to cut down on her food but she can have theoccaasional bunch of parsley and would parsley andkale and other veggies have calories in them for a rabbit

thanks

varna xxxx

Yes, vegetables are a major component of abunny's diet. All wild rabbits eat is vegetables and plants. You shoulddefinitely cut back on her food, but do it gradually and don'tcompletely eliminate veggies from Lucy's diet.

Here is a good link on rabbit nutrition:

http://www.petcarevabeach.com/rabbitnutrition.html

Bunnydude:dude:

Vegetables themselves are not a nutritionalrequirement for bunnies but many do enjoy itgreatly.Wild rabbits and domesticated rabbitshavedifferent digestive systems as the process ofdomestication has caused the domestic rabbit to adapt to captive livingmaking the wild diet no longer suitable. My bunsdoquite enjoy their herb, kale and romaine salad but they only get suchas atreat once or twice a week. Quite afew overweight bunsare overweight due to genetics (some justget overweight even with properly rationed feed) and therefore cannotbe made to 'diet' without getting boney and out of condition(unhealthy). If your bun is truelyoverweight due to overfeeding it'd be best to make sure that yourfeeding only the recommended amount of high quality pellets (read thebag and pay close attention to recommended portion size andingrediants..make sure NO corn is found as this causes excess weightgain..avoid feeds with 'treats' in it as they contain sugars that arenot needed)...make sure your bun has ready access to as muchTimothy/Orchard Grass Hay as it wishes to eat. Brome orOatHay can also be subsituted in for variety. Minehaveaccess to grass hay 24/7 365. :) Hayis an essential food item for bunnies as bunnies are grazinganimals who need long strand fiber (grass hay suppliesthis).

Hi Varna. No Lucy doesn't have to havegreens. She'll be fine with her pellets and hay. Just give her someparsley once a week for a treat but not too much.

How is Lucy doing?

Tina

Oops! Sorry everyone! I guess I missunderstood. Just more proof what a newbie I am:shock:!

Bunnydude

bunnydude wrote:
Oops! Sorry everyone! I guess I missunderstood. Just moreproof what a newbie I am:shock:!

Bunnydude
No problem at all.:DWe are learning. We learnsomething new everyday. No harm done. I think it's great you arefeeling confident enough to post.

:highfive:

Tina

Actually LucyLocket, it depends on what youchoose to believe. The European belief is that rabbit should haveveggies daily and minimal pellets -- they tell you to cut back pelletsand not veggies with an over weight rabbit. The North American beliefis that rabbits need only pellets and veggies are only a treat.

Personally, I'm sitting somewhere between. I can't buy a good qualitypellet here so I switched the boys to a diet in the middle. I feedpellets and veggies daily. I've found a huge improvement in their coatcondition and a decrease in shedding. Not to mention they look muchhappier and healthier.

The bottom line is you can't go by what others say all the time, youshould find what works for you and your rabbit. That's what I did andI'm glad I did.

bunnydude wrote:
Oops! Sorry everyone! I guess I missunderstood. Just moreproof what a newbie I am:shock:!

Bunnydude
You didn't misunderstand, you just have the European view on a rabbits diet.

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
Actually LucyLocket, it depends on what you choose tobelieve. The European belief is that rabbit should have veggies dailyand minimal pellets -- they tell you to cut back pellets and notveggies with an over weight rabbit. The North American belief is thatrabbits need only pellets and veggies are only a treat.

Personally, I'm sitting somewhere between. I can't buy a good qualitypellet here so I switched the boys to a diet in the middle. I feedpellets and veggies daily. I've found a huge improvement in theircoat condition and a decrease in shedding. Not to mention they lookmuch happier and healthier.

The bottom line is you can't go by what others say all the time, youshould find what works for you and your rabbit. That's what I didand I'm glad I did.
Good points for rabbits as well as any animal. Eachindividual animal metabolizes different foods in different ways andwhat works for one may not work for others.

BitterCowgal wrote:
Hay is an essential food item forbunnies as bunnies are grazing animals who need long strand fiber(grass hay supplies this).
Many rabbits live long and healthy lives without hay.Although not an essential, rabbits do enjoy hay. "Fiber" isan essential part of the diet, which can be supplied through pellets,straw, vegetables and fruits as well as hay.

Pam

Latest posts

Back