Anyone have cats...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snickers

Reaction score
Ok I let my lil guy out on our front porcheveryday which has a childs gate up so he cant go down the steps oranything. Well I went inside for a min and for reasonsomething told me to check on him and sure enough a black cat with acollar on cornered him and was about to attack him. I scaredthe cat away but couldnt get my guy out of the corner so i sat away andjust kept telling him it was ok he finally went back in hiscage. I dont know if cats dont like rabbits or if there issome way to keep cats away(besides me sitting there)....

I would say don't even take him out there,because my friends rabbit(my rabbits sister) was attacked by a catwhile she was watching him... and sadely the rabbit died.:bigtears:

Cats have a very dirty mouth, even the smalled bite wound from a cat can kill a rabbit.

Wel I know people have different kind of animalsas well as cats but it must belong to a hoome it had a collaron. I wanted to go say something to someone I mean I had myanimal contained on the porch or if it was a cat I would have on aleash or inside. I was upset and my lil guy was too becauseof people just letting their animals wonder about.

My cat's would never attack my rabbit, they get scared when he runs towards them.

I did have a calico cat that was about to or already had her kittens(can't remember) that picked my rabbit up by the neck and tried tocarry him away, it was cute though.

I think you should build him a run.Create something that has a cover over it, so nothing can get to yourbunny AND so your bunny can't get out. It is in a cat'snature to get a rabbit, bird, squirrel, and so-on.

I honestly don't think you should ever have your rabbit outsideunsupervised. Never, ever. There is no way to keepcats away, maybe a dog would help, but then you have to worry about thedog getting to the rabbit.

I apologize if this sounds mean or anything, but you are your rabbit'sprotector. Your rabbit cannot escape into a burrow in theground. Which is what a wild rabbit would do if a cat waschasing it. I have a pretty good feeling a rabbit couldreally mess up a cat or dog or whatever with a good bite, scratch orkick, and possibly scare them away, BUT, you never know.ALWAYS, ALWAYS expect predators to stalk and hunt your rabbitoutside. That is why your bun needs you. Nopersonal attack intended.

Hugs! K

Cats are predators and one of the thingson the menu is rabbits. Now I have had cats and rabbits togetherwithout a problem. But these are cats that never went outside and Iraised from kittens.

You can not leave you rabbit outside because so many otheranimals don't see an adorable pet, the see lunch. If you have to go ineven for a sec then bunny should too. Unless you can build a cagestrong enough to withstand a dog attack and has a hidey box for yourbunny to go into.

I'm sorry this happened to y'all but sadly there are manycareless or uncaring pet owners that allow their cats and or dogs roamas they please. It's better to be safer than sorry.

Tina

Our cats have never bothered our rabbits; but Iwouldn't trust them either. It's their instinct that rabbits=dinner.You probably shouldn't let him go out unsupervised for a while anyhow.

Kat

Cats unlike dogsdo not have a leash law ,therefor can run andpredate everything in a neighborhood , the onlything you can do is protect your Rabbit,

As others have mentioned builda run that is enclosed top ,sides , and bottom and bothends. Or keep the rabbitin an enclosed porch rather than anopen one . Or you can sitthere with him . there is not manyalternatives , You alone are theRabbits safety .

Our cats are absolutely terrified of therabbits, but they are declawed and strictlyindoors. Bub's sisIsabella, as a little tiny 3-wk-old,used to chase Mouse allover the place untilIsabella got too up close and personalfor comfort and Mouse finally smacked her little rear end all the wayback to the carrier. Bad Isabella scooted with the guiltiest look. Butshe was back again bugging Mousethe very next day.

With outdoor cats that are used to hunting, it's a whole differentmentality. While I'd have no worries about timid indoor cats like ours,I wouldn't leave a rabbit unsupervised in your situation.

Rose

I know we can get humain cat traps from ouranimal shelter here. They walk into the box and the door closes behindthem. Really works well, once you got the cat you drop it at theshelter. Might stop some of the owners from letting there cat loosewhen they have to pay a fine to get the cat out of the shelter. :)

i have three indoor kittens, and they get alongwith my 4Indoorbunnies. but i never leave themalone without supervision. sniffer and thumper was herebefore the kittens. and are bigger then they are. my two new buns Angeland Blaze are only 8 wks old and are slowly being introduce to thekittens. thats why i got kittens so they can grow up with all myanimals without problems.

We have 2 kittens and one cat who were introduced to our buns.

The kittens were about 7 weeks when we got them, so they are growing uparound the buns (Guinevere will groom them and they are just AMAZED atAnubis)

The adult cat was terrified of the buns at first, but now will watchthem with an air of indifference... until Anubis starts humping her,then she'll mrow and run away.

I wouldnt trust the adult with Gir however, he is just a little guycompared to the cat, Guin is big enough that Kismet would say, whoawait a minute, I dont think so! and Anubis, well he's a beast

That's right cats will chase and attack rabbitsbecause it's instinct. The traps aren't that bad to catchcats. It doesn't hurt them, however, you must catchthe cat the first time. If the cat attemps to go in the trapand the door for some reason closes before the cat is in there, it ismost likely not to go back in there. Also if the cat issomeone's pet it might not go in the trap because it's nothungry. Remember a cat doesn't attack a rabbit to necessarilyeat it, it might just want to play. If you do however catchthe cat I doubt that the owner will really look for it since it canroam freely. Also traping the cat might only make room foranother cat. It is easier to let your bun play in a safe runor place where predators can't get him or supervise playtime.I hope that things work out.

We have used the cat traps, and end up taking itback twice a day with a little furball. We do get the same catsometimes 4 times before the owner wises up. if they dont look for itat the shelter, atleast someone will adopt it and it wont be near yourstreet anymore. Just have to put some tuna in it or something, and theywill come around.

Dont count on housecats that have never beenoutside beeing safe.we once owned a female persian she had never beenoutside.one day one of our baby bunnies squeezed out of the cage andthe persian killed him.our cats tend to ignore large adultrabbits.bluebird

Our cats are bullied by our rabbits. SometimesLestat likes to play with them, the other day Valuran and him wereplaying tag, it was very cute. My cats are housecats, raised fromkittenhood and they're fine around the buns.

However, I would never trust to leave my rabbits alone outsideunsupervised even for a second. You can't control another cat cominginto your yard.

It should be easy enough to construct a run, or rig something up so your rabbit is safe on your porch. Good luck!

Yap! Agree with all our bunny lovers here. NEVER LET YOUR GUARD DOWN!
Even if you allow your trusted cat with your bunny, stay got to keepyour eyes peel on them..:)You will never know when the cat'sinstincts will kick in...

My cat is such a baby, he's scared of my bunniesand my hens. I do always find a tabby cat in my garden tho and have tochase it away just in case as my bunnies are out in their run all day.My cat does chase them away whenver he's awake tho but my hens are thebest. They actually attack cats, including my own. No joke, although itwas the one time, they've been alright since. They are serioulsy scary!I'll be happy to rent them out to be guard hens, they are great at it!!Otherwise just keep and eye on your bun and make sure that if he'soutside he's in a safe run.

tmdegenstien wrote:
I know we can get humain cat traps from our animal shelterhere. They walk into the box and the door closes behind them. Reallyworks well, once you got the cat you drop it at the shelter. Might stopsome of the owners from letting there cat loose when they have to pay afine to get the cat out of the shelter. :)

But if the owners never think of going to the shelter, say they thinkthe cat is dead, then someone's kitty might be put to sleep :(

Latest posts

Back