Anyone have a bonded pair like this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evey

Reaction score
I would have never believed this if my boyfriend hadn't sent me pictures via cell phone. While I've been away at school this week, he has been working on bonding Tigger with Toby. Tigger's exact age is unknown, but we have concluded from his previous owner that he is between 8-10 years old. Toby is my youngest, at just under a year old.

We have tried to bond them in the past, but Toby was quite honestly a big jerk about it. I gave up on the idea, thinking that Toby enjoyed being alone. Apparently, now they are both really into it! There hasn't been any fighting, and they are grooming each other. Toby binkies as well when they are together. Glynn (the bf) tried this yesterday for about 2 hours w/o any problems and again today for about 6 with great results. Ok, so now I'm guessing they will be well on their way to becoming a happy couple when I go home tomorrow night.

So...my questions is this: does anyone have a bonded pair where one is older and the other is young? I think this will help keep Tigger "young," but I'm so worried about how to make an NIC cage now. I had this great plan in my head for Toby's bachelor pad--basically the same design that myheart did for her new bunny (3 stories tall). However, Tigger's hind legs aren't very strong, and I don't think he could handle levels. Toby is the most energetic bunny I have, and I don't want him to suffer either. Ah, what do I do?!

Thanks,

Kathy

Well, have you seen Myheart's trio? I think Patrick is 6 years, Luna is 5 years, and Zappa is 6 months. They have separate cages at night but spend most of the day together.

Fey and Oberon aren't that far apart in ages, but she is a playful dwarf and he's a big lazy lump of a New Zealand. Thankfully the pen works nicely how it was already set up: large basic pen area with a big, sturdy shelf running along run wall for them to jump up on and sleep on/under. If you do something like that you could make little stairs or a ramp for Tigger in case he does want to go up.

Thanks, I didn't even think about making stairs or a ramp for Tigger--that's a great idea!

Ugh, I dread making this cage though. I just have the hardest time w/ NIC cages :?

Kathy

Hey Kathy congratulations on the bonding. Tome their is nothing sweeter than seeing 2 bunnies "In Love":heartbeat:.

Can we see the picture of the 2 of them.

Susan:)

Sorry I didn't click in on this thread sooner....

I agree with Naturestee on having separate cages if you are worried about Tigger's being able to hop up and down shelves to different levels. I really do like the cage of NIC panels that I built for Andy, but I do not think I would build one for Patrick for that very reason. He is older, doesn't do the bunny 500's any more, and might even have visual problems as he needs a nightlight to eat his veggies during the night.

Zappa, on the other hand, could benefit from a NIC condo like that for stretching out and relaxing. The only thing is that she is out all day now with Patch and Luna, that a smaller cage won't hurt her for the six hours of night-time she is penned up. She has a shelf in her current cage and is able to flop, but no room for strange binky behavior.

Andy likes his NIC condo, and I think that undergunfire posted the link for the condo just in time. I felt so bad not have enough room for the little guy to his normal bunny-stuff in. Without the link, I would have been just as lost as you are. I am one of those people who needs recipes to cook. I am so pleased with how the condo turned out, that I would not hesitate to build another if needed.

Not sure if anything I posted helps or not, but just keep Tigger's old-man capabilities in mind. Maybe they might their own space after a long day of hanging out together anyhow. Patch, Luna, and Zappa are all the more happy to see each other in the morning, as well as raiding left-overs from each other's cages. :p

myheart

A six year age spread for 2 neutered males.

Rusty is about 3 years old maybe a little more and Akira is about 9 months now. They are ridiculously in love. They are together in the cage and at play time. I think it may just be a little more difficult to bond but I don't see how it couldn't happen. It might just take a while longer.

Latest posts

Back