any of you own a dog that gets along with your bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I bring Luca to my friend's houses that have bunnies Luca just gets on with them just fine. He rather snuggles with them. Luca is the type of dog who wouldn't hurt a soul. I guess its in his breed (Golden Retriever)

But with Oscar (JRT, background is to hunt rats and foxes and rabbits etc )when I took him to see the neighbours bunny (to see how he reacts) he wants to play with them but never hurts them, funny that Oscar would bite me and everyone else but doens't bite hard on bunnies. He barely even nibbles but he does get over excited. Keeping in mind he was only a small puppy.

There is a few people who writes that Dobbies are agressive etc, I disagree with this.. Dobes are a great friendly breed, and gentle. When I take Luca to the beach there is a dobe that goes pretty much everday and he is one of the most gentlest dog I know.

I think that you should introduce your dog soon to the rabbits os he grows up with them rather. so he knows how to be gentle with them. But make sure he's always supervised.

Remember it varies for each dogs.

Maybe you can share pictures of your pup? :) Would lve to see them!!

**** im so jealous of you guys that have a doggie bunny bonding:biggrin2: hehehe
all the pics are so adorable!

my pup pharaoh is teething right now so he bites everything! im going to wait to bond them until he passes his teething period.
here are some pics of pharaoh

him at 9 weeks
pharaoh.jpg

now
100_1547.jpg

pharaoh with baby bella

100_1488.jpg

100_1530.jpg

missyscove wrote:
Haley, clearly Goldens & Dutches are the perfect combo.
:)

Yup! And it helps that Golden Retrievers are such amazingly loving and gentle dogs. They want to please you so much that training is so simple. I know you, MyBabyBunnies, Kamoar, and I all have goldens who are great with bunnies.

Waiting until there baby teeth have fallen out to work on bonding is a great idea. Cooper was so "mouthy" up until he lost his baby teeth and even then we didnt trust him without supervision. Now we trust him completely and he's only 8 months old.

He is a CUTE pup!!

I love seeing preditor and prey get along! We have a pit bull mix that gets along great with all of our animals, including the buns. Pit bulls have horrible reputations and she is the sweetest and smartest dog I have ever owned. Just watch them closely and let them approach each other. Don't try to force it, if they ignore each other consider yourself successful!

KIF_1197.jpg

KIF_1367.jpg

KIF_1363.jpg

Haley wrote:
missyscove wrote:
Haley, clearly Goldens & Dutches are the perfect combo.
:)

Yup! And it helps that Golden Retrievers are such amazingly loving and gentle dogs. They want to please you so much that training is so simple. I know you, MyBabyBunnies, Kamoar, and I all have goldens who are great with bunnies.
AND ME!

I cannot agree more with what you wrote about the GRT. They re such gentle dogs.

My dogs and bunnies get along well- under supervision. It really doesn't matter what breed of dog you have, any can learn to get along with consistent training and close supervision.
You have to know your dog. For example, when we got Laila she was a killer of any small animal- including rabbits. My children will never forget the day she killed several of our bunnies. However with a lot of training she has become the great bunny guardian. She is very gentle and affectionate with them- she is also very protective of them. However she still kills wild rabbits. Of course I always supervise any and all dog/small animal interactions.
Viktor always wants to play with them- he is still learning he has to be very gentle.

Our boxer Laila with baby mini lops
December26013.jpg

This is our heeler/husky mix, Viktor with my daughter's jersey wooly- Spekter
August2008036.jpg

Viktor pushing Torvald (english angora) away from his bone.
9-16-08049.jpg

and my avatar picture is two of our angoras- Torvald and Mystik sitting with our boxer girl Laila.

I have a sheepdog and it gets along with my rabbits great. One of them is always curious about the dog and often runs over to it and gets sniffed and usually a kiss.

Well, I have one dog, Maggie, and it took a bit of training with Ronnie, but now she is great with the rabbits. She likes to watch them and make sure they don't do anything "wrong" I also dog sit sometimes and Skye my fuzzy lop has met a great dane, two shi tzus, and a dachshund. I think it depends on both the dog and the rabbit. Maggie is afraid of everything but she likes to "herd" the bunnies if they are in the backyard and out so I have to make sure to keep her calm there. If she catches up with a bunny she won't do anything except try to make them "go" again, but I don't want to stress the bunnies out. Of course there are times when Ronnie will start it. But I haven't let any other dogs meet Ronnie because he has more of an instinct to flee. Skye on the other hand is a cheeky little girl and will hop up to anything and run from nothing.
The dachshund was terrified of the rabbits, The two shi tzus wanted to eat their "cocoa puffs" and the dane ignored them completely. So there are a lot of different reactions.

I think the most important thing is to make sure your puppy is calm around them right now. They probably look like a chew toy at the moment because he is teething so they don't need to be in contact, however I think you can do some training that doesn't require contact. Like letting the bunny explore while you have the dog on a short leash by your feet. Praise him for laying down and acting calm while watching the bunny to make sure she doesn't get close to sharp puppy teeth. Dobes are very protective of their "family" and so if he knows she is part of the family he should do really well with her. But as always, never leave bunnies and dogs unattended together, even if you trust them. Accidents can still happen and all animals are unpredictable to a certain extent.

We have a golden retriever mix and he gets along great with the bunnies. We did have a border collie who also was great with all the pets. Hoppy, our dwarf mix bunny has no fear of any animal but Clover, who is larger, sometimes gets scared of my moms little dog who comes to visit. However when my uncle brought his rottweiler, both the bunnies wanted to say hi. Over the years we have had animals of all kinds and our dogs always got along.

captioncontesttwentyninewinner.jpg

I figure I should post this picture.

Storm lives in phoenixes bed

MagneticLove wrote:
haha lol the caption is soo funny! cute

Yeah e Minda does a photo files contest every week she picks a picture and people write captions for it. Who ever captions gets the most votes goes with the picture in a thread.

It was a quick find to use that photo

I have a spitz-type mutt- DNA testing said he had some samoyed in him, but he's 40 pounds, medium coated and red- and although he's very well-trained, I still wouldn't trust him with my rabbit. He has this very intense, over focused look about him when he stares at him, which leads me to wonder what he would do if I wasn't watching. They're seperated by a baby gate which my dog doesn't challenge, though.

That said, dobermans are not known for their prey drive, so once yours matures, it could very well be just fine as long as you teach him self-control now. Larger breeds can take up to and over 3 years to be truly mature, by the way. I don't think his breed should be what worries you- I'd be more concerned about a small terrier around a rabbit than a doberman.

Serious wrote:
That said, dobermans are not known for their prey drive, so once yours matures, it could very well be just fine as long as you teach him self-control now. Larger breeds can take up to and over 3 years to be truly mature, by the way. I don't think his breed should be what worries you- I'd be more concerned about a small terrier around a rabbit than a doberman.
yes you are totally right. dobies were bred for personal protection so i just have to make sure he sees piksi as part of the human fam.

Latest posts

Back