Any ideas on a breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BabyRue

Reaction score
I am sure everyone here is sick of hearing this question(we get them all the time on the horse forum I am a part of haha) but... if you could guess the breed of Rue what would you say she is?

She is super tiny at 5 weeks old. She fits in the palm of my hand.

Her Mom was white with really neat black and grey splashes in her coat. I'm guessing she is about 6 - 8lbs maybe a bit more. No idea what her dad is.

Rue has a super soft silky coat as did her Mom. I am guessing a Rex or Satin? I am very new to the bunny world though so I am horrible at guessing breeds... I had a heck of a time figuring out if she is a he or he is a she lol. She is in fact a she though :biggrin2:

Rue1.jpg

Ruehome2.jpg

Man she is a wonder. Her color with the blue top color and the white tan pattern markings is called a Blue silver marten. BUT that crazy silver ticking is not part of that color description.

By splashes in her moms coat are you talking ticking as in what your baby has?

Her head and compact/small body is screaming netherland dwarf and blue silver marten is a color in dwarfs. But that ticking could be related to a silver fox, silver marten, or silver rabbit. Silver Fox senior doe weights are 10-12lbs. Silver martens do not have ticking all over their top color but rather just silvering on the sides and rump on the animal. Senior doe weights are 7-9.5lbs. And Silvers are the smallest but have smaller bone and come in a smaller size. Senior doe weights are 4-7lbs. You can look up pictures of those breeds and myabe see mom.

EDIT: just saw mom was WHITE with the splashes. I am not sure but i might just have to say dad was a netherland if she stays small and that head stays the same. Mom i would have no clue except if she was a broken color with one of those breeds in her which in that case she herself is a mix.

Thank you for the info!

When I say her Mom has splashes in her coat I am talking more like a Pinto pattern on a horse. They are really neat to my amateur rabbit eyes haha.

I figured she would be a mix simply because the "breeders" were BYB types that have no knowledge of animal care period.

I did a google search trying to find pictures similar to Rue's Mom. I can't seem to find any. They are large patches that fade out into the white on her coat. Which is why I think Pinto markings.

Her Mom and her Grandma have the sweetest personalities. I will have to get some pictures of them next time I am out there.

All that matters to me though is she is the sweetest personality I have ever seen in a rabbit :)

Definitely has that Marten markings. What a sweetie! My Dobby is a Silver Marten and is such a sweetheart. He's our "House" bunny.

K:)

Oh you are all so smart!! I did a google on Silver Marten and that is exactly what her Mom and siblings look like!

Karen I love the Harry Potter theme for your bunnies names! Rue's name came from Hunger Games haha... when my SO and I get our house we are going to get a few more bunnies and I am going to continue the theme. I need a Katniss, Peeta and Primrose :D

Latest posts

Back