Any Help please, Bunny Died this morning

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichieW

Reaction score
Hi All,

My children's little bunny (Benny) sadly passed away today. Yesterday my daughter fed him as she usually does every day and we had some photos with him (thankfully). Anyhow, I woke up this morning and before leaving to work I thought I would check on him, he was out the front of my house on the grass Verne and lying there motionless, I picked him up and he was still a bit warm - may have only recently happened. He had a small graze on his ear and had a bit of blood coming out of his bum area. Anyone have any thoughts on what may have happened?

I suspect the following (in no particular order):
1: Hit by a car; however didn't appear to have any extra damage, upon first observation
2: kicked by a person?!?!
3: attacked by a cat - would a cat leave significant marks/contribute to the bleeding?? It was about a week ago and I met the new neighbour who informed me he had a cat out to get bunnies... (sigh).

Anyone have any advice on what may have happened?

I would only hope that he died of natural causes and nothing malicious.

Would appreciate any tips to look for or feedback?

Many thanks all. Very sad today!!! :(

Attachments

• Benny.jpg
    Benny.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 16
I’m a bit confused - where did you keep him that he could be hit by a car?? Without post Mortem it’s very difficult to say, could have been a traumatic injury or some sort of disease like RHD. I’m sorry for you and your children :(

I’m a bit confused - where did you keep him that he could be hit by a car?? Without post Mortem it’s very difficult to say, could have been a traumatic injury or some sort of disease like RHD. I’m sorry for you and your children :(

We keep him secured in our property, however he had snuck out and made his way to the front of our property against our fence (about 5 metres from the road), hes done this many times before and just goes as far as that mark then goes back inside, if he got hit by a car, I guess there would be more abrasions and also more damage to him, plus he would have had to climb up the curb and get to my fence.

One way we use to tell if an animal has been in an RTA is they will have scuffed nails. I suppose you didn’t look, but something to bear in mind for next time. Sometimes you cannot see much externally, but more internal damage. I’m afraid it really is impossible to say, could have been anything out in the open like that. Do you have any more bunnies? If so see what you can do to make the enclosure more secure.

One way we use to tell if an animal has been in an RTA is they will have scuffed nails. I suppose you didn’t look, but something to bear in mind for next time. Sometimes you cannot see much externally, but more internal damage. I’m afraid it really is impossible to say, could have been anything out in the open like that. Do you have any more bunnies? If so see what you can do to make the enclosure more secure.

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. We don't have any other bunnies but understand for next time. What is RTA?

Latest posts

Back