Any advice?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunsterlove1969

Reaction score
Hiya everyone,

My two buns are booked in for their spay next Thursday, i have the Friday off to look after them.

I just wondered if you could give me some advice on what i need to take with them to the vets, what they need when they come home? I was thinking of buying a large dog bed and putting some vet bed in there -and then just resting them next to the fire? will this be ok?

Do they need any special food buying or just what they are on now? Will they be quite active after the op?

Sorry for the 101 questions - but thank you for reading it :wink

ok first things first....

when i took my bunnies to get spayed they were only in there for the day and came home that early evening. i was told to keep them in a warm place preferbly inside so i would advise having a clean hutch/cageready dont have and bedding in the cage or hutch as this can iretate the stitches. put the hutch/ cage in a quite place and whn your bunnies coem home jsut put them in their with freshwater, hay and some hard feed and leave them aonle over night as they will probebly be still quite sleepyperhaps just check on them beofre you go to bed.

in the morning check on them and see if they have eaten anything as by now they should have had somthing. if the bunnies leave out move them back outside but dont let them out into a run as on grass this will still iritate the stitches and hard ground will be painful. leave them in the hutch cage for a few days with jsut limted exercise and keep monitoring how mcuh they eat.

after a few days more exercise cane be taken and gradully they can be let back onto grass and straw/sawdust!

hoep this helps im sure the vet will give u instructions on what to do to!

Hi bunsterlove!
Welcome to the forum!!

Let them eat and drink as they normally do until they get to the vets. NO FASTING. It's important to keep their GI tracts going. Bunnies can't vomit so there should be no worries about giving them food and water prior to surgery.
Our vet has us bring a days worth of feed and hay, some treats, and their water bottle that is to be filled before bringing it.
When they get home their activity should be minimal for a few days. They'll be pretty subdued when you first bring them home. They may not want to eat too much on the first day, but their appetite should improve after that. If they don't eat or drink for 24 hours you may want to put in a call to the vet.
Make sure their cage/hutch is throughly cleaned before they come home.It's a good idea to use plain shredded paper in their litter pan for a couple of days so the litter doesn't get into the incisions.
Keep them warm and out of drafts, but not too warm. Temps above 80-85F degrees can be dangerous.
Anesthesia, pain meds, and antibiotics may cause them to have runny poops for a few days, but it should go back to normal after that.
I advise checking the incision and/or surgery site at least once a day for signs of infection.

I suggest calling the vets office beforehand for any instructions they may have for you.

Sending prayers and good thoughts your way!!

`jim

Thank you hunnybunny and Jim - thats excellent advice.

The only problem is, if it is a problem, is that we renovated our hallway cupboard into a huges house for our bunnies. So we cut a large hole out of the door so they could get in and out, and their litter trays, bedetc.. are in there. We can't close them in the cupboard due to the large hole -so if they wanted they could get in and out.

Is this going to be ok?

Thank you again :):kiss:

bunsterlove1969 wrote:
We can't close them in the cupboard due to the large hole -so if they wanted they could get in and out.

Is this going to be ok?
Thank you again :):kiss:

Can you put up a baby gate across the doorway.
We have our buns in a room of their own. We leave the door open and have a gate up (mostly to keep the doggie out ;))

could you put a piece of mesh or somthing like a box in front of it. also could they rub their stitches, when you do let them out after a couple of days, on somthing as they hop out of their room/cupbored?

hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back