ANNOUNCEMENT!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaliBunny

Reaction score
Yay! Yesterday I got two fancy pet mice! One ismine, and the other's is Sydney's (sillybunny). Does anybody have anytips on how to take care of mice? Checking on it's health? Please reply.

I also think Hamsters and Mice are pretty similar.

I've had 3 hamsters in my life, all of which didn't take work really.Just feed them and change their water, they clean their own cages(though you should clean out their poop pile) and um...buy your mousesome tubes to run in, they'll like that, and hiding places like aburrow( sp?) or something.

They should do just fine :)

Oh and a wheel to run on is a must!

you really need to clean out your mouse' cage orhammies cage once a week. poop and pee pile up big time! agreed buy awheel. but, buy a wheel that has closed rungs, if you don't your mouseor hammie can break his foot off! buy pine bedding or carefresh. nocedar. but lots of chew sticks and toys. an igloo or house with lots ofventilation are also good to think about buying. no tubes really,hammies (syrians mainly) can get stuck in the tubes or the tubes don'thave enough ventilation and can make your mice or hammie look sweaty ortrapped. tubes also aren't good because you're mouse or hammie mightpee or poop in the tubes. dirtying them and making your cleaning jobmuch harder. make sure to throw away the shavings each week and put innew! maintain clean water bottles and dishes as well.

ellie

:shock:a hammie without tubes?? Howwould they have fun? My hammies all loved their tubies, Rahoon even hada slide! lol they never got stuck in them, they don't get big enoughto, though they can poop and pee in them, its happened, I cleaned itup.

Um. don't put your micies up too high, because when you think theycan't get out they can. My poor hammie somehow got out of his cage andhe jumped off the high table and broke both of his back legs. Hewobbled and dragged his legs around for a month, poor lil guy. He livedto be 4! Which is pretty old for a hammieham.

I don't know what else there is, lil rodents really aren't hard to take care of.

For your own health, though I'm sure you do this anyway, wash yourhands after every time you've touched them, especially males becausethey leave a urine trail where ever they go...ick! :dude:

lol. hammies are a ham!!! lol. but, you probablyhad dwarf hamsters, they don't get stuck as easily, but, if you have asyrian hammie like i do, ya better watch out! i don't have acrittertrail cage, they're not very safe. (tubes and such) but i dohave a little individual play-thingy that has good ventilation and twoshort tubes. he's a syrian and only has to squeez a lil bit to fit inhis tubes! lol! have fun!

ellie:D

toys! mybunnylovesme! lol i had my hammie and his cage given to me but,now i know not to buy the crittertrails. i bought him lots ofchew-stuff and toys! lol! i know they love those tubes though!

lol. hammies are a ham!!! lol. but, you probablyhad dwarf hamsters, they don't get stuck as easily, but, if you have asyrian hammie like i do, ya better watch out! i don't have acrittertrail cage, they're not very safe. (tubes and such) but i dohave a little individual play-thingy that has good ventilation and twoshort tubes. he's a syrian and only has to squeez a lil bit to fit inhis tubes! lol! have fun!

ellie:D

toys! mybunnylovesme! lol i had my hammie and his cage given to me but,now i know not to buy the crittertrails. i bought him lots ofchew-stuff and toys! lol! i know they love those tubes though!

Mice need really similar care to rats,actually. They eat the same thing and do better on rodentblock (a.k.a. square meal, lab block...) then on a seed diet, becausethey will pick out their favorites and leave the rest. Tubesare good, clean them with a baby bottle brush. Mice like tochew so give them lots to chew on and watch because they'll chew thewater bottle. You can get a metal guard to protectit. Make sure you clean the cage at least 1 time a week,you'll want to, mice tend to be stinky. If you got 2 boys,they can't live together or they will fight, but girls should beok. If you got 1 or each, seperate them unless you want tonsof babies. Wheels are a necessity, but make sure to get a"tail safe" one (Super Pet makes good ones that are metal, so theycan't be chewed,but they hang from the top or side of your cage toprotect the tail)

Have Fun!

I had two mice; Seraphim and Ventrue, and theystunk! Tiny, tiny GORGEOUS little things only one day after their cagewas cleaned they smelled awful again! I wouldn't have swapped themthough: they ran on a wheel constantly and were so cute!

One piece of advice: give them a water bottle rather than a bowl if youcan, as mice seem to love peeing in water. I have no idea why, butevery time I put in fresh water, my mice would pee in it straight away!:shock:Oh, and make sure they're kept very warm (if you cancope with the smell!) as they are so small they get cold easily. Goodluck x

LindseyandKen wrote:
I had two mice; Seraphim and Ventrue, and they stunk! Tiny,tiny GORGEOUS little things only one day after their cage was cleanedthey smelled awful again! I wouldn't have swapped them though: they ranon a wheel constantly and were so cute!

One piece of advice: give them a water bottle rather than a bowl if youcan, as mice seem to love peeing in water. I have no idea why, butevery time I put in fresh water, my mice would pee in it straight away!:shock:Oh, and make sure they're kept very warm (if you cancope with the smell!) as they are so small they get cold easily. Goodluck x
The smell is what I was thinking immediately! They stink something fierce!

I had Teddy Bear hammies!! Herbie, Hagen and Rahoon!

Rahoon had a blanket he curled up in all the time lol.

I'll try to post pictures if I can, but first i'll have to wait until they agree to have their pictures taken!

I have owned rats my whole life if you think Ican help...I currently have 8 of them...If you have any questions feelfree to ask.here is a picture of a couple that wanted their picturestaken lol

Dont want to question your judgement but pinecedar isnt good either...The kind that you would need to avoid healthproblems is carefresh as you said and Aspen.With my rats I find thataspen works the best

That's debatable, there is no proof that pine is harmful really. I have used pine myself, but never use cedar.

I have used both and they both caused respiratoryissues...But its ok.Everybody is entitled to their own opinions...Ijust thought I would help sence I have been doing this for years

Latest posts

Back