Am confused...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wintermelon

Reaction score
How do i tell the difference between a mini lopand holland lop?Is it common for a HL with long ears to be mistaken asa mini lop? As well as the opposite? Is there a difference in the breedstandard besides size?Are cashmere lops what pple in the UK call fuzzylops?How about mini cashmere lops? Is there a mini netherland dwarf?Isaw one being mentioned on a webbie but am not sure abt it...Thank you.

Not sure about a mini NethiDwarf , I dont know if they can get muchsmaller than they already are ,under 2 lbs , Cashmire and fuzzysno clue ,.

Hollands and MiniLopsare generally told apart by ear lengthand head set . Hollands generallyhave smaller head and facialfeatures and short ears , withthe exception of the Mulie ones , I hadone who's ears were as long asa Mini Lop with the long nosebridge also . Generally a Holland Lopwont weigh 5 lbs most Mini Lops go 5lbs and a bit more . IF youhave a Holland your not sure is aMini or a Holland , post a picture and Imsure one of us can properly Identify itfor you . And Yes a Holland with longears can be mistaken for a Miniespecially with said factors involvedand when very young .There can be oversized Hollandsor oversized rabbits from most breeds, I have 5 Jersey Woolies and only 2 arethe correct size the other3 are much biggerwith more wooling , 2 weighunder3 lbs and and 3 weighbetween 3 and 4- 1/2 lbs . Hopethis helos some Please post upa picture so we cansee the baby in question. then we can go from there .

I have about 15 hollands and I'm pretty surethey are all hollands cos the parents are registered by the ARBA.However, i have been going to pet shops and looking around and havebeen seeing rabbits that they claim are hollands that look likeminis...I'm quite confused when it comes to breeds and genetics. Wouldlove to learn more. Especially about genetics...i'm clueless about aaetc, everytime i see it my mind goes ???...lolFor hollands, am isupposed to clean their ears? No right? I have not cleaned their earssince i've gotten them and have read some sites that says clean themwhile others say it is not neccesarry.Also, i managed to getwoody and realized that it is half the price of breeders celect!!! Theonly reason i used breeders celect before was cos the pet shop onlycarried that and shavings.BTW, what is hooked spine and what does itlook like?Many thanks.

Many rabbits in petshops are mislabeled and/orcrossbred. My local rabbit-selling petstore stopped changingthe labels. They've had tan dutches and one mixed-breed greyrabbit of mediums size for the last couple months. The pricestickers are for "dwarfs" and "lops." Not a dwarf or lop insight!

Some bunnys in pet stores are mini holland lopcrosses.I have seen bunnys labeled netherland dwarfs in many storesthat were definitely not netherlands but most likely a dwarf, polishcross.There is no mini netherland dwarf.Some netherlands may weigh lessthan 2 lbs.A hooked spine rabbit will have a dip behind thehead.bluebird

OK my knowledge isa bit lacking in this department , Ihave never heard the term HookedSpine ? What is it and how isit handled , is it genetic . Canit be corrected? Blue Bird thanks forthe explanation , but can you takeit just a bit further sowe can understand it better ?Thanks Hon .

Hi,sorry for the late reply. I was out of town.I read about hooked spines in a yahoo group i joined. I think itaffects mainly netherland dwarves?From what i understand, it is geneticand you can see a dip in the spine. Also, it makes the rabbit look veryflat. I'm not sure about that and will write back here when i havefound out. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back