Alternatives to NIC?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serious

Reaction score
I can't find NIC cubes ANYWHERE, for some reason. So, that said, does anyone know of similar products that I could build a cage for Magellan out of? His current cage is just too small, I think.

Where all have you looked for the NICs?

If you're not making a multi-level pen, you can use a dog exercise pen. They come in different heights, and provide a good amount of space. Before I made my NIC condo, my bunnies had a exercise pen for their home.
If your bunny is a jumper, use a taller one so he can't get out.

I just googled for them and couldn't find any sellers from that, and couldn't find anything on ebay either. I figure if I can't find it online, I can't find it in stores...?

I am not sure if anyone still sells the "Neat Ideas Cubes" brand. I think they used to be sold at office stores? Not sure. Now they come in a variety of brand names. So if you're looking specifically for "NIC", you might not find them.

I know that the Target branded ones are not listed on their website (at least they didn't used to be), but are in the stores. Be aware, though, that the design has changed, so most of the panels in the pack are only suitable for floors that will be covered with another material, or the roof of the condo, or for the side of the cage that is against the wall. (Bunnies can get through the large holes.) The Target branded ones are under the "Organize It" or "Re-Organize" names, and can be found in the home improvement or home organization areas, along with the adjustable metal shelves.

I have read on this forum that some people have gotten them at Walmart, but my Walmarts don't carry them, so I don't know what brand they carry. I would also check in the home areas, they might have some now for back-to-school, with the stuff they're stocking for college students. Same with Costco, I have heard that they sometimes have them, but I've never seen them there.

In light of the design change of the Target brand cubes, I personally think the best value right now (at least in my area) is at Bed Bath and Beyond. I found some in the section with storage boxes and such. They cost a little more, but have more useable panels per pack than the Target ones. Also, if you're on their mailing list to get those 20% off coupons, it can bring the price down. I have seen these only in gray.

Thanks a bunch for the link!

How many NICs do you think I'd need to build a cage for an 8 pound rabbit? He's only in there when I'm sleeping- otherwise free roams the room all day- so it could be a bit smaller than most I think.

For an 8 pound rabbit, I would do at least 2*4 or 3*3 grids. It should be 2 high. So without a top, both would be 24 grids. 3*3 gives more floor space, while 2*4 is a bit easier to fit in some places. You could do 2*3, which would be 20 grids, but it may be a bit small for your rabbit. I would not put in a level using the grids as it may not hold the weight of your rabbit. You can get a stool or something that would make a good level.

I have a Giant angora who has a 2*4 cage with a large run. She is only locked in the cage at night.

Latest posts

Back