Alfalfa or Timothy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrittyKay

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Girls And Buns

I am getting a 3 month old Bun this Saturday so like a 3 an a half month

And would like to know

How long to feed Alfalfa for? until what age of course Google is no help an gave me nothing but feeding the rabbit hay an pellets an veggies some times

And would it be like the pure Alfalfa or a Mix

Thanks Guys, Girls and Bunnys :)

, Britt
:thanks:

Alfalfa is richer in nutrients, timothy/meadow/oaten are richer in fiber.

So just use your judgement. For a growing bun, a pregnant bun, and/or a skinny boney bun, mostly alfalfa is fine. (But I would also mix in some higher-fiber hay because fiber is also important.) Once your bun is fully grown which is between 6 months - 1 year old, or if you see him getting chubby, then you'll know alfalfa is too rich for his needs. Gradually transition over to a lower nutrient, higher fiber hay such as timothy.

Alfalfa is richer in nutrients, timothy/meadow/oaten are richer in fiber.

So just use your judgement. For a growing bun, a pregnant bun, and/or a skinny boney bun, mostly alfalfa is fine. (But I would also mix in some higher-fiber hay because fiber is also important.) Once your bun is fully grown which is between 6 months - 1 year old, or if you see him getting chubby, then you'll know alfalfa is too rich for his needs. Gradually transition over to a lower nutrient, higher fiber hay such as timothy.

Thank you i am going to get a bag of alfalfa than too

Now what do you store it in ?

I am looking at storage containers that have no holes in it
Do i want air to be able to get in it or no? if so that is fine my grand father can make some nice holes

Before deciding on hay, you need to find out if the rabbit is fed an alfalfa based pellet and how much. It's likely it is, and being young is probably getting unlimited amounts or close to. If this is the case, adding alfalfa hay into the diet is totally unnecessary and can actually make buns pretty picky about only getting alfalfa hay and make it difficult when they are adults, to transition them onto a grass hay. My suggestion would be to feed a grass hay like timothy, meadow, etc. It may also be useful to find out if your bun is getting hay in it's previous home, and if so what kind. It would be good to make sure to get some pellets and hay that the bun is used to from the owner, to transition the bun onto whatever food you are going to be feeding, if different, as it's best not to make sudden food changes with rabbits.

Latest posts

Back