Alfalfa based pellets as a treat for an older rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinupchick

Reaction score
So Miss Ula (4 yrs old) is turning into a finicky eater and decided that she no longer likes her Oxbow Bunny Basics T pellets (which she has been eating without an issue for over a year!).

I purchased Zupreem timothy pellets, which she has eaten in the past, as well as a lower-end Alfalfa pellet (Martin Little Friends Rabbit Food). I've been giving her the Zupreem with a sprinkling of the alfalfa pellets to entice her. It's definitely working, and she goes for the alfalfa pellets first.

I've heard differing stories about the dangers of alfalfa for older rabbits. Do I have anything to be concerned about, or is it fine to sprinkle a few alfalfa pellets into her regular timothy ones as a sort of enticing treat food? She gets unlimited timothy hay throughout the day as well as a good variety of greens.

I wouldn't take a chance on it being 'finicky', with any change in eating habits its a good idea to check the teeth for sure and maybe the pellets.

Sometimes they make more of an effort to eat what they like, but the problem is a physical or mechanical one.

Did she stop eating gradually? Any sign of drooling, hesitation when she picks up food? The pellets crumble under pressure but I've still seen bunnies stop eating pellets and only pellets with dental issues.

Was it the same Oxbow bag or case lot she was not liking? Could they have been stale or 'bad'? Wasn't somebody complaining about Oxbow's dip in quality lately? Was that pellets or hay?

No problem mixing the pellets, that's probably a good thing. Is she overweight?

sas :bunnydance:

She's got a checkup appointment for later on this afternoon. I'm not taking any chances, don't worry.

She didn't eat her Oxbow pellets starting about two days ago, as in, didn't touch them. I became worried instantly and gave her veggies and whatnot, which she ate without an issue. She's been eating less hay too. So I changed her pellet brand last night and her hay brand as well and she's been eating them both. No drooling, normal behaviour otherwise. Smaller poops, because of the hay issue I imagine. She makes a teeth flicking noise which is unusual for her, so I'm wondering if it's dental too. But the Oxbow might have been stale...it's a really big bag that I got a couple months ago. I leave it open sometimes overnight by mistake.

She's definitely not overweight.

pinupchick wrote:
She's got a checkup appointment for later on this afternoon. I'm not taking any chances, don't worry.

She didn't eat her Oxbow pellets starting about two days ago, as in, didn't touch them. I became worried instantly and gave her veggies and whatnot, which she ate without an issue. She's been eating less hay too. So I changed her pellet brand last night and her hay brand as well and she's been eating them both. No drooling, normal behaviour otherwise. Smaller poops, because of the hay issue I imagine. She makes a teeth flicking noise which is unusual for her, so I'm wondering if it's dental too. But the Oxbow might have been stale...it's a really big bag that I got a couple months ago. I leave it open sometimes overnight by mistake.

She's definitely not overweight.
proper diet,controls alot of things,,solves alot of problems for,the teeth,and gitract.//.rabbits require a 70% daily diet of non digestible fiber..ie timothy/orchard grasses,,thena small amount of -digestible fibers-quality lowfat pellets,,lots of fresh water,and,fruit tree branches/twigs from the safe list-medirabbit.com-,and some dandylions,clover,grasses.//.rabbits are consumate chewers and groomers a string of perils is not uncommon for poops,--just increase the grasses and water,,and beaware of any behavior changes.-grinding of teeth could be pain-..sincerely james waller:wave::rose::bunnydance::biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back