Ahem. Aaaaaaaaaa *deep breath* aaaaah!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on her coming out ok, I am so sorry about the loss of your dog, those times can be so heart breaking.
I know how it feels to be stressed and scared about a spay, a few years ago I got a little Pomeranian puppy and she ended up almost dieing from just getting her first shots, so when it came time to spay her I was in tears because I didn't know if she would react funny to the anesthetic, but she came out just fine and is still with me ^_^
I am no bunny expert, but I owned a sweet little guy a couple years ago, and now own another male and I take care of my friends boy as well. they are very young and small and are only just starting to bond with me. It has been taking longer then what I remember my last rabbit taking to bond with me, but something I have found that helps is their love for food. I give them a small bowl once to twice a day of rabbit pellets and 24/7 fresh timothy hay. when I go to feed them each day I take them out to play, and because they are hungry I call their names and give them some of their pellets, they are beginning to come to me when I call them, and I am starting to try and get them used to me holding them. maybe what you could do is start with that and then move up to holding her while she eats her breakfast. just a thought that might help you out ^_^ also try not to be afraid when holding her, she needs to feel you are secure and know what your doing. she will know if you are afraid, so try and be brave and act like everything is ok and nothing bad can happen. when you do start to hold her try doing it while you are sitting on the floor for sure haha my friends husband tried just grabbing and holding their rabbit and the end result was a flying bunny bomb, luckily he wasn't hurt but it would have been better if he was sitting on the floor when it happened. anyway good luck I hope it goes well for you ^_^

Today marks a week since the spay! Yay! I was told she would be healed in 10 days. 3 more days to go? Man... it's starting to get harder. She's climbing the sides of her cage with her front paws now. For almost a whole week, she was such a good girl. No digging and sending the litter flying all over the place, and pretty much staying on all fours. I think she's getting restless. Thinking about expanding her space just a little. Soon we move, and find her a companion! Exciting stuff!

I've found that she really relaxes when I sit near her. I can't get anything done, but I get to see her like this:

IMG_1471.jpg

"Okay mommy, you're keeping watch, right? I'm gonna nap, then."

IMG_1476.jpg

Those feet! :laugh:

She is such a cute little bunny, she almost looks like she is a cartoon because of her markings and hairstyle lol what a special unique little bun you have ^_^

She is so cute! I can't wait until you can let her out I bet she'll be so happy. Do you know what breed she is? She is one unique and super adorable bunny!

Good to see things are going well for her and she´s recovering. She´s such a lovely girl, can´t wait to see her binkying again.

She is so cute! I can't wait until you can let her out I bet she'll be so happy. Do you know what breed she is? She is one unique and super adorable bunny!

Ah... see, Brie is supposed to be a Lionhead. A $200 Lionhead. Yep. Good intentions by the boyfriend. I thought maybe she was a single mane, but the vet took one look at her and called her a Lionhead mix. She also used to be nice and white from the mane down. I guess that was her juvenile coat, cause she shed it and it never came back. :sigh:

Woah $200! That's not the typical price for rabbits. She sure is pretty though I love her beautiful furry coat. Her coat must have been so pretty when she was pure white, but she still has a gorgeous coat now.

Whoa...that's a lot of cash for a rabbit. Not to say she's not worth it but its a shame someone took advantage like that. As for the letting out, well I have to confess I let out my Xena earlier then 10 days. Never for long, and always monitored, it just looked like I'd be doing more harm keeping her confined and her restless then letting her out briefly. Glad to hear though that's she's so spry after the surgery.

Oh yeah. The boyfriend was ripped off for sure. Super unethical breeder, right?

I must confess too, that I rigged up a temporary pen with some spare NIC grids and let Brie out for a little yesterday, and as I type she is hanging out in one corner of it. She was starting to gnaw on the wires of her cage and no amount of interesting toys was keeping her amused.

Her fur is growing back very quickly so it's getting hard to look at her incision, but it seems to be healing. She's as feisty as ever. I kinda liked her drugged up and docile. :spintongue

Yes, she was a pricey bunny. But she was definitely worth it! I would have paid $1000 for my Ash :heartbeat:
I'm sure letting her out would be fine. You heard Troller, it can't be that bad to do.

I'm glad her incision is healing nicely!

Last edited:
I love Brie's coloring. Lionhead or mix, she's really pretty. Not that it matters all that much, but I know a breeder with lionheads. I could show her a picture of Brie to see what she thinks about her, if you want.

I am so glad that everything went so well and that your bunny is fine! It is over now...but just wanted to share a couple of things with you! You are NOT the only one who has had anxiety over having a bunny spayed or neutered...the vet's office where my bunnies have gone...I have known for YEARS, my second mom has been a vet tech there for 19 years and two of the vets are bunny savvy...one who has done a lot with the HRS. I was STILL nervous and on pins and needles until I knew they were all fine! Although I really didn't breath easy until I saw them with my own eyes and held them in my arms!!!

As for your bunny's behavior and handling her...you may find she is more mellow and easier to do things with...our female who was spayed a month ago...she sprayed, she was difficult to deal with pick up, catch, you name it! Then we took some advice from some on here...we moved her cage away from the other bunnies (a different room) SHE got better! Then we had her spayed and now, she is AWESOME!!! She does NONE of the undesirable things she did before! Honestly, I was ready to give her back to the breeder or find her another home! I hoped and prayed getting her spayed would make a difference! Did it ever....we love her to pieces (we loved her before, just didn't know what to do with her behaviors)...she has her furever home with us!!!

I hope and pray that your spay has a similar affect on your bunny....good luck!!!

I love Brie's coloring. Lionhead or mix, she's really pretty. Not that it matters all that much, but I know a breeder with lionheads. I could show her a picture of Brie to see what she thinks about her, if you want.

Yes please, Jbun! I'll upload photos of her before her juvenile molt too. Any reason to share pics of the buns, right? ;)

As for your bunny's behavior and handling her...you may find she is more mellow and easier to do things with...our female who was spayed a month ago...she sprayed, she was difficult to deal with pick up, catch, you name it! Then we took some advice from some on here...we moved her cage away from the other bunnies (a different room) SHE got better! Then we had her spayed and now, she is AWESOME!!! She does NONE of the undesirable things she did before!

I sure hope Brie will calm down a bit with the crazy. How long was it after the spay before all the hormones left her system? I just sat down with Brie for a bit and she tried to dig my pants. And she definitely did not let me even /try/ to pick her up. Is the digging at me part of hormonal behavior or is that just rabbit behavior?

Actually, I think pictures of her with her adult coat will work out best. Maybe one of her sitting up, from the front and the side, if possible.

I think the digging at pants is normal rabbit behavior, used to try and communicate something with us, like move your leg, pet me, etc. If it's not something you want her doing, then you just have to let her know it's not allowed.

Hey Jbun, I'll upload a few pics tomorrow. Gotta get them uploaded. But first...

Is pus at all okay? I looked at Brie's incision today and what I thought was a tiny bit of pus definitely is pus. There is some also dried along the line of her incision. Nothing is swollen or red. The line of her incision is a healthy pink and she is acting and eating normally. She IS getting very restless though, even though I'm keeping her on the ground at all times. Nothing to jump on. Should I be worried?

Back