Aggressive bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PancakePeter

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for some reassurance and advice on my rabbit bonding. This is my first time and I feel like it isnt going as well as every Youtube tutorial I have watched!

My rabbits:
Pancake is a 2.5yo female, spayed 6 months ago and we have had her for six months. We got her from a shelter, who got her from a hoarder house that had 60+ other rabbits. She weighs 5 lbs and is a domestic mix.

Pete is a 1.5yo male, neutered 4 weeks ago, and we have had him for two months. We rescued him from an acquiantence who didnt have time for him and was sending him to the shelter, so we took him instead. Pete is a 3.3lb netherland dwarf.

The rabbits first met about 2.5 weeks ago in a bathtub. Pancake immediately nipped Pete and ripped out a big clump of fur, so we separated them. We tried again a few hours later in a 2x2 pen on the tile floor and again, more hair pulling, always instigated by Pancake. The next day I tried again and this time Pancake laid down and Pete came and started licking her head. Unfortunately, he thin nipped or licked her eye too hard and she attacked him. I tried again a few hours later, and we were back to the nipping.

I then moved their cages next to each other and waited about a week. Pancake poop-marked for the first few days and then stopped. Pete never marked. I then put them in the 2x2 pen again in a new room and this time Pancake went over to Pete and asked to be groomed. Pete ignored. Eventually she gave up and left. Pete would stay still, but would eventually ventur too close to her and instigate a fight. This pattern of Pancake asking to be groomed, getting ignored, and then getting attacked or instigating one has happened in every daily bonding session for the past week. So, I stopped. Occasionally Pancake would flop and lay down though so I take that as a good sign. Pete does not lay down. Today I tried stress bonding in a 1x1 cage by shaking it a bit and Pancake was immediately attacking Pete and ripping fur. I have noticed some honking/musky smell form Pete so I know his hormones are still at least somewhat active - not sure if maybe that is having anything to do with this aggression. I've also had NEITHER rabbit make any attempt at all at mounting. They always approach each other face to face, which seems to instigate the fights.

I've never had any bloodshed, just fur pulling. But im not sure if I am doing something wrong or if this is all ok. Any ideas on how to make this pair like each other?

You started the bonding process too soon. It can take up to 8 weeks after neuter surgery before hormones are fully dissipated. Attempting to bond before that 8 weeks is, unfortunately, just asking for trouble.

They need to do a complete do-over. They've started off on the wrong foot and it would be an uphill battle to continue right now. I'd suggest completely separating them for about 2 weeks (minimum) in hopes that they will actually forget about each other (and forget that they don't like each other!).

After that, you can try again. But try to find someplace different to bond them this time -- some place brand new to both of them so that there are no territory issues.

Hopefully that will do the trick. However, with bonding, there are no guarantees. It is possible that they will refuse to bond. If that happens, they'll have to be housed separately. [This is why it is recommended to allow bunny #1 to choose her bondmate from among other fixed rabbits at a rabbit rescue. They work with you to ensure you end up with a bond, even exchanging one rabbit for another, if necessary.]

Youtube bonding videos frustrate me immensely because there is no such thing as a "typical" bonding. Sometimes two rabbits get along very easily or with little effort. Then the person bonding them (and making the video) think they "know how to bond" rabbits. Unless someone has experienced extremely difficult or impossible bonding attempts, they aren't 'experienced,' imho. So all those videos just serve to give the false impression that bonding rabbits is a piece of cake and no big deal. This may be true some of the time, but certainly not all the time.

The following bonding info from a rabbit rescue in the UK, on the other hand, has several videos of various degrees of bonding success. It even includes a video of a bond attempt that just did not work out. I so appreciated seeing this video because it shows what could happen when two rabbits refuse to bond. The non-successful bond attempt video is not one that your average pet owner is willing to post. Nevertheless it is, imo, at least as valuable as seeing bonds that workout.
http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/

Latest posts

Back