Adoptions or not?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxknite13

Reaction score
Hi all. This will be my first time owning a pet (aside from fish) and just wondering if it's better for me to adopt or not? The upside is that most of the time the rabbits will be litter trained and used to people...but nothing beats that new fluffy bunny when they are little. Thanks for the help in advance!!

If you adopt you are giving an unwanted pet a home. The buns may or may not be used to being handled. Some buns are fine with being picked up but the majority do not like it. With time they can learn to tolerate it though. Buns may be litter trained although when you bring them home there is the possibility that they may need some retraining as a bun might feel the need to mark their new territory. Most shelters spay or neuter first so if that is already done then it is one less worry and cost for you. Also with an older bun you can see what there personality is.

If you would get a bun elsewhere such as a breeder you can get a young bun. Yes, who doesn't love a baby and want to get to experience that. You should have a good idea what the bun will look like and how big it will get or not get. You will have to litter train the bun but from my experience it has not been that difficult or take too long. Of course, when the bun hits puberty then you may deal with hormonal behavior as well as possibly a change in their personality. All buns need close monitoring to watch for any health problems since they are good at hiding illness but it may be a little more critical with a younger bun.

The choice is really yours and yours alone to make. I did want to give you some things to think about however that might help you to decide. If you have an idea in your mind of the type of relationship and the type of bun you would like to have such as wanting a snuggly bun or a more active bun then your best bet would probably meeting and spending some time with buns at a rescue and finding the one that best suits you.

I am not saying you would do so but I'm sure there are plenty of buns sitting in rescues because the owners were expecting something different than what they got.

How exciting!!

I wrote about my experience regarding buying a baby or adopting just a while back...

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f14/bellas-story-79216/

Whatever you decide....good luck and post pics!!

We are off to the rescue on Thursday to begin bunny dates to find a friend for Bella and are so psyched!:yahoo:

There are pluses to both.

Adopt and you give a discarded rabbit a home but, it may or may not be trained at all, might have vices you don't want. Will be older so, won't be with you as long. Will 99% chance already be spayed or neutered. (that can be good or bad depending on your views.)

Buy from a breeder: Probably less costly, you get a young rabbit, you give a rabbit that might have been used for fur or meat an home as a pet, you get to see where the rabbit was born and the parents, and insure all rabbits there appear healthy and, you get to train the little one your way, it doesn't have bad habits because it has never had a home. It may be more shy of you at first, but it will come around if you are patient with it. It won't be spayed or neutered, so it would be your choice to do that to it or not.

It's up to you. You can get a wonderful rabbit either way.

I'm so glad I adopted my boys. They are so loveable. They are not very old. They poop in their box, mostly. They always pee in it. I am glad I have them a loving home after they were abandoned by previous owners. I do not have experience buying from breeders.

I'm so glad I adopted my boys. They are so loveable. They are not very old. They poop in their box, mostly. They always pee in it. I am glad I have them a loving home after they were abandoned by previous owners. I do not have experience buying from breeders.

Yup...Bella was only 8 months old, and never has missed the box. :)

If you're looking for a young bun, there are plenty of babies in rescues as well. All of my rabbits have been adopted from shelters or rescues as already spayed/neutered adults which worked out great for me because I was able to get a sense of their personality before I decided to take them home and didn't have to worry about getting them spayed/neutered myself.

Baby rabbits are cute, but when they reach sexual maturity at around 4-6 months, they can start to exhibit behaviors that pet owners do not like and it seems like that's when many are surrendered to shelters. Neutering can help with that, but know that it does cost several hundred dollars. I think shelter rabbits are a great bargain because they usually cost less than $50, including neutering. My third rabbit Pepper is from a shelter and her fur is so thick and soft, I get the fluffy bunny experience even though I got her when she was about 6 months old. Go visit some bunnies at a local shelter and see what you think. Let them know what you are looking for because they may also have some bunnies in foster care at someone's home.

Latest posts

Back