Adopting Rabbits - Marchioro or NIC Cage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunyBun

Reaction score
We are close to adopting two wonderful bunniesfrom our local House Rabbit rescue organization. They are abeautiful male-female pair and medium to large in size.

Our question is this . . .

Would a Marchioro Luna 102 (approx. 53l x 23w x 35h) or a NIC cage thatwe custom build (probably in the range of 43 to 57" l x 29w x 29 or 43h).

The Marchioro has the tray for cleaning (not sure if rabbits will uselitterbox at first because they have been in a shelter environment fora while) and is okay to look at. The NIC style cage has moredesign options and probably the option for more space but may be harderto clean?

I'd love feedback from anyone who has tried one, or both, and how it worked for you and your buns!

Thanks a bunch,

BunyBun :bunnydance:

I have two Luna 102 cages and I am extremelyhappy with them. I thought about building NIC cages, butdecided against it for a couple of reasons, the primary one being thecleaning issue. Plus the Luna 102's are easy to move aroundas the are on wheels. My bunnies love them!However, they wouldn't be appropriate for larger bunnies. Howbig are the bunnies you are getting? If you need any moreinfo on the Luna 102 please let me know, I'd be happy to help.

I'm not sure what the weight on my buns and they aren't any discernable breed but they are definitely *not* dwarfs.

Thanks for the responses!

BunyBun

Do keep in mind that the Marchioro cage is only40" after you take away the nest box attachments and such.That's not very big for two rabbits, especially since there's reallyonly one level.
http://www.rabbitcentral.com/ma-34451.html

I personally prefer my rabbits to be able to get in and out of the cageon their own. It does a lot to build trust and litterboxhabits. You could make some stairs if you neededto. I also don't really care for wire floors.They're a pain to clean as hay gets stuck everywhere.

I love NIC cages though. You can use the same amountof floor space as that pre-fab cage but build multiple levels to makethe cage much, much bigger. Even then, it will be lessexpensive. The Marchioro cage is $170 on the site I'm lookingat. I built a NIC cage that was 2x4x2 grids, with a 1x4 gridsecond level for only $60. And that was with a more expensivetype of flooring! BTW each grid is 14".

Thanks everyone for taking the time torespond. My heart was really with the NIC cages for all thereasons mentioned - space, ease of access forthe rabbitscomingin or out, and adaptability to suit therabbits. I want my buns to be as happy and content aspossible - and I can only imagine that having their own personal spacethat is adequate in size is a good first step. They've spentalmost a year in a shelter environment. We visited them todayfor the second time and it was amazing to see them transform in thespan of an hour from reclusive, sad bunnies (according to shelterstaff) to jumping, playing buns. We have already bonded and Ican't wait for them to settle in with us at home and feel the securityof having their own larger space and the space of our home to explore(plus all the love and attention!)

Since all my reading indicates that learning to use the litterbox issomething that is certainly achievable with most rabbits, I figure weare going to give the NIC cages with coroplast bottom tray a try.

It's great fun seeing all the different NIC cages - I have a fewquestions about them. Should I start a new thread or post toone of the more recent NIC threads already started?

BunyBun

Well, it's really up to you.

You could just continue to ask questions in this thread too.

I love my NIC condos. I have my own buns and my foster bunsin them. They are very easy to clean as long as you make thedoor big enough for you to reach all the way to all corners.

A spray bottle with vinegar water and a hand broom are going to be your very best friends!

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back