Adopting a New Bun!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoneyPot

Reaction score
So, I'm leaving Cookie with my familywhen I move out - I've accepted that it will happen. I'm moving in the next month, so have been on the lookout for buns that need rescuing, and lo and behold, the PERFECT honey bun is at the Toronto Humane Society.

He's only 7 weeks old, so I am worried about him being so young...

What do you guys think?

They say the babe is male, but I am prepared for the Gender Fairy

What a cutie! As long as you take him home somewhere after 8 weeks he should be fine. I think I took Devon at about 13 weeks.

Hmm.. do you guysthink he would be better off at the humane society for another week or so, or should I take him asap?

ohh, he looks like a cutie. i'm glad you found a bunny at the Humane Society, that's where i got Sully and i'm happy i could take him out of there. i don't know about him being so young though, i think the humane society tries to spay/neuter all bunnies before they are adopted.

When i was there, the unneutered/unspayed rabbits were unavailable for adoption.

if i can help in any way pm me. i have carriers and an extra cage,

Nicole

Hmm - thanks Nicole! I'll go down there tonight and take a look and see what they have to say.

HoneyPot wrote:
Hmm.. do you guysthink he would be better off atthe humane society for another week or so, or should I take himasap?

If he is available for adoption, and you really want him, find out if you can have them hold him for you.

I agree, I think it's better he gets adopted into a quiet home instead of staying at the humane society so young. I got both Mocha and Eli at 6 weeks and they were fine.

I got Willie right at 7 weeks....he seems to do fine, he's about 10 now, he still won't try new things to eat..but I figure that will come with age. I do kinda think he thinks I'm his mom tho...but he's a major lover. As long as the lil one is eating, you should be fine.

Awesome!! I'm so excited! I have butterflies. I hope he likes me.

_________
Nadia

Rabbits6 weeks and up can be seperated from their mothers,it isnt recomended but it can be done . by 6 weeks the mother is running away and looking for any excuse to get away from them . Babies 6 weeks old are usually eating more rabbit feed and hay thannursing and they now have large enough teeth to severely make mom uncomfortable.
I would go ahead and go get him , keep him warm and make sure he is drinkinggood , feed him as you would any baby his age . no veggies at this age though it will be too hard on his tummy if he isnt used to them .

ohhhhhh!! Congratulations Nadia!!

Maybe see if you can set up a spay/neuter contract with the shelter you are taking your new baby from.. If they for some reason dont want to release him/her until fixed, you can maybe agree to put down a deposit and in due time have him/her fixed by the shelter's vet(or your own) and then you'd get your deposit back from the shelter.

I cant wait to see more pictures of the lil one :D

he/she is adorable.. this way is kinda better. cookie still has a wonderful life with your sister and parents and you're also giving this new one a great home :) so instead of 1 lucky bun, theres 2!! good luck with the little one, i cant wait to see pics.

Latest posts

Back