A question for the breeders out there

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most babies are fine in the winter, as the motherlines the nest with fur. However, if you have extreme weather, I wouldjust bring the nest box inside, taking it out once a day for the motherto nurse.

~Nichole

In my experience this depends on the breed,myminilops and new zealands had babies in february no problems in belowzero weather,the dutch did fine as well.the netherland dwarfs andholland lops needed to have some heat to survive.bluebird

Bluebird's post brings up an excellentpoint. Many breeds have no problem reproducing in extremelycold weather as long as they are well protected and have plenty ofnesting material.

However, as she pointed out, many of the smaller breeds do notreproduce well during this time of year, even in a heated rabbitry.

We keep our rabbitry heated to 40 degrees during the winter months,putting does with litters on the top row of cages closer to the heatlamps.

As SLR pointed out, nest boxes can be brought inside and returned tothe doe for nursing. We used to do this before we had heat inthe rabbitry.

Pam

Thanks, I dont plan on having any babies but Iread that all babies will freeze in the winter.so I fiqured I would askthe experts. that would be horrible to have them freeze to death. hasthat ever happened to any of you?

Personally, I have never frozen to death . . .

(sorry, couldn't resist)

The hairless babies can actually die of hypothermia rather quickly, butin a well insulated nest box, the babies can do quite well and are verytoasty in their nestbox.

Pam

Pam.

Ihavent personally lost any to cold but I've never had babiesin winter either. I know that when theyre really young it's veryimportant to have a well insulated nest box as Pam said. However, thereare cases where babies climb outof thenest box. Iftheyre not found and returned quickly they can freeze to death.

Lanna

Latest posts

Back