A problem with chew toys and etc.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midori-Chan

Reaction score
My bun, Alexander, has a chew toy shaped as acarrot with rope like material sewn tightly around it, and he can shakeit an it makes noise etc. However, he was picking it apart and *eating*the fabric. In fact, if I give him newspaper or if I even put cageliners in his cage.. he'll eat it. Not just pull it apart and throw itaround. He just tries to eat it.

I don't know what to do. I want him to be happy and occupied when I'mnot around, and to be able to keep his teeth at a normal length but Ican't trust him with toys. What do I do? Is there anything safe for himto chew on and possibly digest?

Thanks.

My rabbits do that to itsreally anoying that u buy them a toy then they just eat it, but when myguinea pig used to eat the carpet lol the vet told me they spit it allout later but i do not know if they do or not but i think newspaperfine as when i used to give it to mine they just torn it apart thennothin happened to them see what other people say as wellxx

My bunny Rue loves to chew and eat carpet, wallcorners and pretty much everything that she shouldn't. I heard thatbunnies eating fibers like carpet and such are really bad for them. Butthe sneaky little devil gets her teeth in those things so fast. Rue hasdestroyed many carpets, books, etc, and i've been sooo scared thatshe'll get sick, but she is very healthy. Both my buns have those flipn toss carrot thingys, and they luv em.

maybe try putting in some toilet paper rolls so your bun can chew onthat instead. also i have let Rue play with a phone book (which shealso tried to eat), she had loads of fun tearing it up, i had not somuch fun cleaning it up.

Nicole

Try wooden chew toys. Devon has the same carrottoy that you are describing, and I only let him play with it when I'maround. I can trust him with wooden chew toys and plastic balls when heis alone.

Rabbits can develop a blockage and die fromeating carpet, so it's important to keep them from doing so. Yes, mostof us struggle with it.

What we do is keep tons of other chewables out for our rabbits. Mostlyuntreated cardboard and untreated wicker. And I mean lots. We breakdown big boxes for them, which they love, plus egg cartons (Valuran'sfavorite) and paper towel tubes.

They pretty much don't like anything store bought naturally. Also, assoon as we hear the tell-tale signs of carpet chewing, we say NO andgive a spray with a water bottle.

As far as books, our rabbits love chewing those so we just keep themout of reach. You should see what they did to our phone book....

Wooden chew toys are good. Mine lovefruitwood branches from the pet store. I think they weregooseberry or something like that. Pear and apple branchesare also good as long as they don't have pesticides on them.Willow is great- they have untreated willow baskets from the craftstore that were only like 50 cents.

You can also get untreated straw mats. I have some fromWalmart- they were made to be place mats. I have to replacethe one- it has a giant gaping hole in it!

Do you feed your rabbit hay? If not, maybe he needs some to keep him busy.

my little monsters have lots of wooden chew toysand hay and all sorts, i also put boxes and cardboard under the couchwhere they like to hide try to bite the carpet, and this helps, but ido watch them very carefully, and when i see them go for the carpet, iput the other cardboard things in that place. they are learning.

PuterGeekGirl...i have seen the toys you make, and me likes, alot. nexttime it's time to buy toys, i'll be asking. i'd rather support someoneon the forum trying to do some good.

lol

Nicole.

Latest posts

Back