A angora/color question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabby

Reaction score
aladyrev.jpg

This is Holly, as you can see Holly is an English angora, Holly came to me from a local shelter when she was 3 years old. Holly is now 9 years old. the only other markings Holly has ever had on her besides her face and ears is a small blue spot on the top of her tail, her ears and nose are actually a very dark blue, even though I know it looks brown in the picture.

I have seen Holly through many molts and shave downs. she has molted in bald spots here and there for as long as I've had her some years more so than others. this most recent molt she was half naked, she had fur on her butt just around the tail area, fur on head and face and chest and front legs but from the shoulders to her hip bones she molted totally naked at at once. Ok no big deal, only now on her back down around her hip area the size of my fist she is growing in a large blue spot.

her body coat has always been pure white right down to the skin. This is my first experience with something like this and just wanted some input.

I have seen younger animals change color after a certain age, or change color in a spot due to injury, but this is new to me. I will try and get a photo of her backside so you can see the color change..

And here is her back, you can tell how the fur on her head and butt is way ahead in growth, while her whole back area is now just covered with enough fur so it shows up in pics. I waited till now to take this pic and asked this question, because when it first started growing in a photo of it just made it took like a bruse.

she was PURE while ok and 9 years old.. hubby jokes insteady of going white in her old age she's going gray:p

2341652975_714817d750.jpg

2341650191_4b29a68c5f.jpg

Wow! Thaat's pretty unusual! We had mature Siamese Satins that changed color after a nasty moult, but their fur was delicate and changed color if you handled them wrong. Did Holly ever have any color in her undercoat? Under the white fur? (She is SO pretty!)

She looks like a broken smoke pearl or smoke (blue) point. The blue points have very creamy body color that can darken with age, although the smokes can also darken. I've also seen extreme color changes in frosties that molt out.

Pam

but to be pure white for 9 years and then change, how normal is that?.. I don't care that she has changed, i've just never had a bun change like this. others have been white hairs from old age. or discolor from sun. or an old injurry area not growing back the right color..

just found it odd

The "c" series mutations seem to be more prone to color change due to temperature variations (this is especially notable in the "ch" himis, but also occurs in other shadeds).

The extreme color changes are not unusual.

Pam

I'm so very unfamiliar with the shaded groups and colors and such, sothank you for answering that, now I'll have to go look at the letters you mentioned..

BlueGiants wrote:
Wow! Thaat's pretty unusual! We had mature Siamese Satins that changed color after a nasty moult, but their fur was delicate and changed color if you handled them wrong. Did Holly ever have any color in her undercoat? Under the white fur? (She is SO pretty!)
sorry some how i missed your reply, no she never had any color in her under coat, I've shaved her down at least 4 times a year for the last 6 years. of course I've only had her since she was 3, and the day I got her i had to shave her down due to being massivly matted and alot of her fur ripped out due to such tight mats, so I have seen her hair super short many times a year, and this is the first time ever in those years she has shown ANY color on her body, she was always white straight down to her skin.

BlueGiants wrote:
oh and thank you, She's is rather a snob herself and thinks her own self beautiful LOL

Latest posts

Back