8 week old bunny not eating hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RowdyRabbit

Reaction score
Hey all!

Over the weekend I got an 8 week old Netherland Dwarf, Rowdy. I've had multiple rabbits in the past but never one this young.

He is eating his pellets and drinking but I haven't seen him touch his alfalfa hay. Should I be worried? Is this normal? I'm taking him to the vet today to get a check-up and make sure he's completely healthy. Should I ask them this as well?

He's extremely active and seems fine but I don't want this to cause any problems.

If it is a problem and he does need to be eating his hay, how do I get him interested in it?

Thanks in advance!

Well, he's too young for veggies, but, in the past when I had ones that wouldn't eat their hay, they got their pellets reduced--they are all great hay eaters now. You might also try hand feeding to stimulate their interest.

Are your pellets timothy based or alfalfa based? If they're alfalfa based then it isn't that important to feed the alfalfa hay. You can find a grass hay, like timothy, coastal or orchard, that he might like better. If they're timothy based then you might try mixing a different hay in with the alfalfa, and if you have to, reduce the pellets some to encourage him to eat the hay.

Latest posts

Back