2011 Texan Tales & Tails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was just letting you know what I was happy to be told when I was first diagnosed :)I am sure you will be fine.

Have a good day :)

Congrats on your wedding anniversary :D Are you doing anything special?

I hope you get your potential diabetes under control! Back when I took an EMT class I had to spend 40 some odd hours in the ER and about 5 of those hours were spent applying constant pressure to a diabetic lady who'd had her heel amputated 5 years before and it never healed. Randomly started bleeding and just would not stop. Thankfully she wasn't in pain but it was a memorable experience for sure!! KEEP YOUR HEELS, PEG!

Nela wrote:
Was just letting you know what I was happy to be told when I was first diagnosed :)I am sure you will be fine.

Have a good day :)
I am really glad you shared - I spent some time at that website on diabetes....great to have as a resource and I bookmarked it.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to type that all out and share!

:biggrin2:

Well, I find out tomorrow if I am diabetic or not. The doctor wouldn't discuss it on the phone, I have to go in. I know I have been really feeling my sugars spiking and crashing lately, but it is really hard to manage without the meeter. Once I have an answer for sure then I can deal with it.

This is not to scare you, but as a precaution. When I was about 10 my mom was married to a guy that had a diabetic mother (in her late 60s). Her sugar was out of control. She refused to take her medicine or test. Her eye sight wasn't that great and when she clipped her toenails she accidentally nipped a little of the skin (I have done that hundreds of times). She didn't check her feet like she should have and ended up with gangrene! By the time her son knew about the infection he had to take her to the hospital. They took off the toe, then the foot, to the knee, the whole leg- trying to stop the infection. She ended up dying because it was too far gone.

When the doctor tells you to check your feet every day or monitor your blood, there are good reasons. I think taking care of your feet is the most important thing you can do other than watching what you eat and testing.

:hug1 We are in this together.

That is what I was telling her Brandy. I know someone who went through that.

It has been a HOT HOT HOT day (supposed to get up to 107 tomorrow and the next day) and we slept a large portion of the day and then Art & I went out and grabbed subs and he headed to work with his sub and I headed home with subs for Robin & I (I even though about what I should/should not be eating before I ordered).

But as I was on my way out the door - I discovered a package from UPS.....from a dear friend who made me something.

Here it is....

[align=center]
1499_092247_500000000.jpg

Isn't it cool? I LOVE LOVE LOVE it and it looks even better in person.

[align=left]We're definitely going to put it in our bedroom.

A big thanks goes out to MINDA who made this for me....thank you so much.

I have to say that it reminds me so much of Hermes....not as much in looks as in attitude. He might be a big flemish giant but he's my "binky boy" and he reminds me of how bunnies have such a joy of life whenever he's let out to play. In fact, I think I'll try to give him some play time tonight in honor of being such a fun boy!

[/align][/align]

MiniLopHop wrote:
Well, I find out tomorrow if I am diabetic or not. The doctor wouldn't discuss it on the phone, I have to go in. I know I have been really feeling my sugars spiking and crashing lately, but it is really hard to manage without the meeter. Once I have an answer for sure then I can deal with it.

:hug1 We are in this together.
I'm guessing that if you can feel your sugars spiking, etc. you're either diabetic or prediabetic.

I think I will probably fast Wednesday night and go in Thursday morning to get my new ID and then also get my bloodwork done - all in one trip. Art got the car inspected yesterday so we can drive on base again.

I think I'm also going to call the appointment desk that day to see about getting an appointment with this person even if they're still out on leave. I think they make their own appointments based upon the referrals from doctors - but it won't hurt to check on it.

Do let us know what you find out about this - I hate to think of us both going through this - but it might be good to have some support - plus we have Nela who can help/educate us based upon her experience.

Which reminds me....

NELA.....how often do you use your blood/glucose monitor? Like what times of days - or after what meals, etc.?

And can you explain the numbers at all - like what you look for when you use it?

Yup, diabetic. My numbers were terrible. Glucose level 188 (should be 80-120) and my a1c was 9.9 (should be less than 6). I have a meeter and should test once a day, but at various times (morning, 2 hours after a meal, bedtime). I will be looking up as much information as I can today.

I also had low vitamin D, high tyroid (which means I need more medicine), and now that I'm diabetic my cholesterol is no longer good enough. No wonder I feel icky lately.

My family on both sides have diabetes and high cholesterol. So even though I am now vegan, going to the gym 5 days a week for at least an hour, and have lost 20 pounds this year, it's just genetic. *sigh* Makes me feel like my efforts are rather futile, but I will keep at it.

I wouldn't say your efforts were futile....I mean - you're 20 pounds ahead of where you could be if you hadn't been working out, etc.

As I mentioned in your blog - I can't imagine going vegan...too tough for me.

Share any links that you find useful - I may be needing it too (I'm really praying that I'm only prediabetic and can stop this).

Hey, how are you feeling? I hope all is well. I'm feeling so much better already. I'm just doing my meal planning and grocery list for the week so I thought of you. This first time is slow and a bit difficult calculating grams of carbs and protein and calories, but after this I'm sure it will be easier. At least I will have my menu planned for the week so I don't have to work so hard figuring out what to eat after a long day at work. My numbers are coming down already, so that's good.

Hope all is going well with you :hugs:

All is well here - been working on the bedroom - hope to have pictures to share soon of what I've been doing.

Sometimes when I'm not on here as much - its cause life is bad and I'm cocooned in...other times its cause life is great and I have too much good stuff here to take time to post.

In this case - its the good stuff!

:D

TinysMom wrote:
But as I was on my way out the door - I discovered a package from UPS.....from a dear friend who made me something.

Here it is....

[align=center]
1499_092247_500000000.jpg

Isn't it cool? I LOVE LOVE LOVE it and it looks even better in person.

[align=left]We're definitely going to put it in our bedroom.

A big thanks goes out to MINDA who made this for me....thank you so much. [/align]
[/align]
I am green with envy! That is so beautiful! Is your house insurancebig enough to cover it?

Oh wow Dave - you're right - we might need to up our house insurance....especially if we know certain people are considering stealing it.

I know I've been quiet on here but things are just going pretty good right now. Every day I try to do one new project in the bedroom and while I've realized that I probably won't get it completely done by August 30th like I would've liked...the fact is - its so much closer to being what I wanted it to be like...that's all that matters! I figure as long as I'm moving forward - that's great.

I've had a friend be a big encouragement to me and helped me appreciate the "gift of time" that I have from Art in being a full-time homemaker vs. having to work outside the home. I think they've helped me really appreciate the fact I can stay home and look at it differently. I've been thinking about what dreams I might have for me - and wow. Its a lot to think about.

While I will be keeping up this blog here with bunny stuff and other stuff - I'm also going to be starting a blog that I can share on facebook, etc. I'm titling it "Reflections from my heart" and its mainly about the lessons God has taught me/is teaching me as I go through life. I'm working on setting it up now.

I also think I may participate in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) in November and try to complete my 2nd novel. (My first one isn't completed but it is mostly completed from the time I did this years ago).

I also want to edit and finish my first novel and maybe self-print a handful of copies so that my kids (and hopefully future grandkids) can have a copy of it. I may even submit it for publication (again) - I tried once and they held onto what I sent for almost a full year before responding and saying they couldn't use it at that time.

Let's see - other updates....well - the last non-bunny one....it turns out that diabetes DOES run in my birth family. My birthmom has it, her dad had it, her brother and one of her sisters has it and the other sister has prediabetes but manages it with meds.

Ok - now on to bunny stuff.

The sad stuff first - we lost one of the holland lop bucks yesterday. I knew it was coming - he was ill for a bit. It was Cindy's last buck from her litter...now all I have left is her doe and she isn't doing the best.

Its sad because with Cindy's litters it seems like I always lose most of them - I'm thinking that even if I breed again - I may not breed her again...and that is a big "IF" right now. I want to get my home in order first.

As I type this - "Jed" - one of the other holland lop bucks (who had to be separated out due to humping) is playing in our master bathroom - and Rosita (the cage-aggressive New Zealand doe who has tamed quite well) is playing in the rabbitry with the gate up. We had one of the Nyx Bits playing on the floor Sunday and he got out past the gate (he still couldn't get to girls) and the puppy went to play with him. Let me tell you - I let puppy have it big time (the rabbit was scared) - and now Oreo won't even look at the rabbits.

Oh - Zeus has an appointment on the 24th for his tooth abscess. I won't have the money before then to have the surgery done. I thought that maybe it had gone away - but now its back and even worse....so he's back on meds (had to get them renewed).

I'm thinking that starting in October or November - I will start neutering some of the does....Harmony and Nyx and tied for the first appointment - I may have them both done at the same time. It isn't that I don't love the other girls - but those two are my favorites and also the older girls...so they come first.

I guess that is it for now - I am going to get some more coffee and work on the house some more.

I'm so happy though to see all that I'm accomplishing and know that I can make good changes in my life.

Oh - and before I forget - I AM taking my blood pressure meds regularly. The other day I realized I hadn't taken my blood pressure in days - so I took it and it was 120/78. YEAH!!!

Wow, you definitely should keep on top of the diabetes thing since so many members of your biological family have it. My great-grandmother died from diabetes in her early 20s and my grandfather and one of my uncles also have it.

The painting from Minda is gorgeous!! I need something like that for my walls :D What is it painted on and how big is it? So lovely!

TinysMom wrote:
I also think I may participate in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) in November and try to complete my 2nd novel. (My first one isn't completed but it is mostly completed from the time I did this years ago).
Is the first novel Tiny's story? I think I need to re-read the story again. Always makes me cry, but it's so nice to think that Tiny helped my Luna and Patrick to The Bridge to play and be together forever. Gee... now I'm crying just thinking about it... :cry4:

Aw thanks Janet....no my first novel is the story of a mystery shopper who winds up falling in love with the manager of the store (small bookstore) that she mystery shops. Of course he falls in love with her - not knowing that she is a mystery shopper - and specifically not knowing that she is the one who gave him such bad scores!!!

It has Tiny and Miss Bea in it along with a puppy (the hero adopts a dog the same day that the heroine adopts Tiny from the humane society).

It's a Christian romance with Tiny, Miss Bea and the puppy (whose name I forgot) providing the comic relief.

The second novel (which I haven't written) is about Ben (the hero's best friend) falling in love with the heroine's best friend (her scheduler as a mystery shopper).

The first book is largely about accepting your life if it is not traditional (one person being a mystery shopper and the hero really being an artist at heart but afraid to step out and do that full-time).

The second book is about letting go of the past and past relationships (for the heroine) and also accepting your "gifts" and working with them to become who you're meant to be (the hero is following in the family footsteps of running a small chain of bookstores - but he really wants to write full-time).

There are also more stories in the "series". The third book is about two of the workers at the humane society...the fourth book is about an older man who runs a general store (in the area where a bunch of the folks from the first three books hang out for vacation) and how he falls in love with a woman who shows up because she says she was "destined" to fall in love with him due to an article about him that was inspired by a painting that the guy in novel one did of his general store. (Long story but it ties together through the various books).

Then there are two other books too - but I won't bore you with those because they're not as firmed up. But I introduce the characters in the earlier books and then build them a little bit with each book up until their story is told.

Bored yet?

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Wow, you definitely should keep on top of the diabetes thing since so many members of your biological family have it. My great-grandmother died from diabetes in her early 20s and my grandfather and one of my uncles also have it.

The painting from Minda is gorgeous!! I need something like that for my walls :D What is it painted on and how big is it? So lovely!

Um....Minda would have the details...ask her?

I have it sitting on top of my bookcase until I get the area cleaned off under where I'm hanging it.

I hope to hang it by the end of this week....

myheart wrote:
TinysMom wrote:
Is the first novel Tiny's story? I think I need to re-read the story again. Always makes me cry, but it's so nice to think that Tiny helped my Luna and Patrick to The Bridge to play and be together forever. Gee... now I'm crying just thinking about it... :cry4:

Tiny's story actually came to me in bits and pieces through dreams. I need to write the next chapter too - because it explains why a younger flemish buck (Schioppi) crossed the bridge early thanks to Miss Bea's meddling. She knew that another diva bun (Samantha) needed a bondmate even though Samantha denied it - so she visited Schioppi over a period of time and showed him images of Samantha and how unhappy she was because she wasn't "complete" without a partner. So Schioppi agrees to cross the bridge early (since he is also lonely even though he loves his human). Of course the second half of the story is after he crosses and woos Samantha to become his bondmate.

:biggrin2:

Oh - did I mention Tiny is NOT pleased with Miss Bea's meddling - and that GingerSpice helps Miss Bea cover up her visits so Tiny doesn't know in advance???

I so want to read your books!Both serriessound great to me. :biggrin2:

That is wonderful that your blood pressure is doing so well. It's a challenge when you have to deal with various illnesses at the same time. It's easy to get on the pitty train (oh I had a HUGE pitty party for myself last week) but as long as we are proactive about our health that is the important thing.:hug2:

TinysMom wrote:
Oh - did I mention Tiny is NOT pleased with Miss Bea's meddling - and that GingerSpice helps Miss Bea cover up her visits so Tiny doesn't know in advance???

Ack! ..... That Miss Bea.... I know she only means well, but still.... :grumpy:

Does Tiny have the power to help Schioppi's people find a new bunny to help them heal from what Miss Bea's meddling?

Latest posts

Back