2011 Texan Tales & Tails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Art is gone this week so my focus is on getting caught up on all the laundry (you didn't see the totes that I also had filled with laundry) plus going through the books in my bedroom and getting rid of a bunch (I'd like to aim to get rid of half of the Steeplehill romance...but we'll see).

We wound up having to rearrange some of the bedroom again - where I had books stacked on the table on top of the cages - is now another cage (with one more to follow).

Its been so hot here and some things have happened to make it so that the a/c isn't cooling the rabbitry as well as it used to....(our central a/c is shot).

So a few of the holland lop babies started sneezing...they're now in my bedroom where it is much cooler.

Ali - I'm hoping to pack up one (or two) boxes and send them to you....my "culls".

I really need prayers here for a rabbit.

Magnum (the broken tort buck) is losing weight and I'm really worried.

It started out with him sneezing and it sounded like he had something in his chest - our a/c went down for a few hours one day when it was hot and humid and several of the rabbits started sneezing - most of the babies in fact.

But he's barely eating (he will eat oats) and he acts like its a bit hard for him to breathe sometimes (yet when I have him out playing on the bed - he does fine).

I try syringe feeding him baby food w/ some critical care in it - but he fights like crazy and stresses out.

Please pray - I really don't want to lose this little guy!

Forgot to say....I'm pretty sure that CJ, Harmony and Meatball are pregnant. I know for sure Meatball is pregnant....

I'm not sure about the others though - Dotty doesn't feel pregnant but I suppose she could have one or two in there.

I'm not sure if I'm most excited about CJ (Sophia's daughter), Harmony - or Meatball (who was bred with Brady Hawkes).

Any updates on the sneezy bunnies? I hope they will be okay! And I'm glad your BP went down, phew. Also you inspired me to do a bunch of organizing this weekend and I got a lot done :) Very happy!

The short stories about Angel and Zeus were so touching, and reminded me of my beloved Jean-luc (my cute little mini cashmere lop which i believe is a fuzzy lop in the US?). He was my special little guy and i miss him so much. Even though i love my other bunnies just as much, i don't know if i will ever have the same connection i had with him, but i hope i do.

I really am not up to writing more right now....so please understand.

Magnum passed away - I just found out a few minutes ago.

I will do a rainbow bridge thread for him later...

First of all - thanks to everyone who posted or contacted me privately or on Facebook. You have no idea how much it means to me. I am going to do a RB thread for Magnum when I can bring myself to do so - probably Saturday or something and I'd love it if y'all post in there.

I am thinking that I may name the remaining bunnies after West Wing characters instead of investigators...and I may someday hope to use Magnum's name again...maybe.

Anyway - for West Wing characters I have several to choose from - Leo - Josh - Sam - Toby - Jed Bartlet - etc. I can use Donna or Abby or CJ (although I have a CJ in flemish - but her's is Calamity Jane) or Bonnie or something like that for a girl.

We're getting close to delivery dates for the bunnies - I bred them July 1st. Nestboxes will go in this weekend....and I need to do some more palpating to see for sure who is pregnant.

I don't know if I mentioned that I also bred Rosita with Ske-doosh....so I may have some 3/4 New Zealand babies - and I'm sure that with Meatball I'm going to wind up with babies that are 1/4 flemish, 1/4 mix, and 1/2 e-lop. In this case, mama is a steel - dad is Brady Hawkes (tort) - but mama came out of light gray and blue. Meaning.....at this point only God knows what colors we'll have - I'm not even trying to figure it out.

I was talking to Alicia about this the other day and I'm going to put it out there....I think my breeding days for flemish giants are over after these babies are born. I'm already planning to neuter Nyx this fall and hopefully Harmony too since those are my oldest girls.

Part of me wanted to have my own lines - to show at shows, etc. That was sort of important to me.

But - feeding them right now takes a LOT of money per month. To go to shows would be expensive for show fees and gas - and it would take time away from my family.

It comes down to a combination of "what would I like?" vs. "what is good for my family"?

I may continue to breed holland lops for another year or so because they are easier to pet out than flemish giants. I haven't fully decided on that.

But I think that at least for breeding flemish - it is time for me to move on. Its a hard decision and I've cried a lot over it when no one is around and I think about it.

However, after being able to take in Popcorn and Charlie and work with Popcorn (who hates Zeus and he hates her).....I just find that maybe I need to make it so the inn has room for bunnies that NEED a home...even though we don't have many breeders here in my area.

Finally - I put on a chocolate/strawberry face mask a bit ago and went into my bedroom later to wash it off.

Have I mentioned that Zeus LOVES both chocolate AND strawberries (he tries to steal chocolate from me if he can)?

Yeah - he came running at me as if "wow mom - the only thing better would be a banana too!"

I made it out alive....as you can tell by this post.

Oh - I have pictures to post soon - maybe tonight or tomorrow...

Hi Peg! Sounds like you've thought through the breeding thing. You can always come back to it if you decide, right? I've always admired what a loving, caring breeder you are. A lot of breeders don't seem to actually care about their rabbits beyond what they look like, but I know you do. You're so brave, I have thought about breeding Hollands at some point but I know finding homes for the babies would be disastrous because I'd be neurotic about picking families and end up keeping most of the little ones!

Big hugs!

Thanks - I'm uploading photos now and will be posting them in a little bit.

The thing about hollands is they have 2-4 (maybe a bit more) kits - whereby flemmies - well - Nyx had 13 in her first litter even if only 8 made it.

So that would make things easier too.

I realized now I have the last photo of I took of Magnum - from yesterday.

I knew he was ill - and I suspected he might not make it - he wasn't playing like the others, etc.

But he still was so darn cute....

Oh well - will share it soon - along with pregnant mama pics...

More as soon as I finish feeding rabbits and editing pics - but for now....

Last photo of Magnum P.I.B.

IMG_0189.jpg

Here come the first of the photos....the girls were SO happy to be able to share their thoughts with you...

[align=center]
IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

[align=left]I had to delete the ones where they were cursing out the bucks...

[/align][/align]

Now for holland lop cuteness...

[align=center]
IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

There is a special story about these next two photos. This bunny was sitting there and after I took this first photo - he/she posed for the next one...THEN...it came running over to me - nudged my hand a few times for some pets and was almost as if it was saying, "I did good mommy....didn't I? I posed just for YOU!" and then binkied off.
IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

[/align]

Back