10 Life Lessons My Rabbit Taught Me

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anniegurl

Reaction score
I have had many rabbits through the years. Each one that has passed over the bridge has a special place in my heart and my fondest memories. I have had very good rabbits and very bad rabbits. They have taught me many lessons in courage, trust, respect and love. Sometimes those lessons were learned unintentionally or handed directly to me. And, when I apparently didn't quite get it, it was thrown in my face, quite literally.

Life lessons my rabbit taught me.

1. Picking me up by the scruff of the neck not only hurts but tells me I can't trust you.

(You cant rely on someone if they don't learn to treat you the right way)

2. Ignoring me when you walk by my cage, well you deserve whatever I throw at you!

(Pay attention to your surroundings, you just don't know what you might miss)

3. Just because you think I should like carrots, does not mean I do!

(Never force anything on anyone, especially if you don't want it done to you)

4.Don't stick your fingers in the cage if you think you may get bitten.

(Don't put yourself in a situation where you could knowingly get hurt)

5. Rub my whiskers and I will follow you anywhere.

(Be willing to selflessly give of yourself, it will come back to you tenfold)

6. I won't tell you I am not feeling well, so you had better pay attention.

(Keep in touch with your own health and the health of those around you, tomorrow they could be gone)

7. I jump for joy because I can

(Take time out for yourself and take a leap, have some fun, do something you have never done before)

8. I do a dead bunny flop, and I do it often because it gets a reaction from you.

(Life is not always as it seems)

9. Rabbit poop is made for slinging across the room.

(Life gives you a lot of "poop" so just get a shovel and toss it out)

And last but not least,

10. I want out of this cage so I will toss my toys and my bowls to make you let me out.

(Get out of the bad places that we sometimes find ourselves in. Make some noise, enjoy your life to the fullest. When faced with an obstacle, jump over it, walk around it. Never let it stop you)

Pay attention to those wee souls we have sought to be in our lives. They will teach you so much if you are willing to learn. Not only will you have a better relationship, but you will have a better understanding of this creatures wants and needs. If you listen hard enough you can hear them.

Haha, I loved this Anniegurl! Its so true! My favorites were 1,2,3,4....and all of them!

You don't "know" rabbits until you've realized these things!:biggrin2:

Awww this is really cool and oh so true. Number three is one of my favorites because Keiran doesn't like carrots, and most people assume rabbits do but they don't, so you can't force them to like it.

I love this! These are all so true. Number three is the best because, everyone thinks that rabbits love carrots because what they see in movies and other stuff. But alot of rabbits don't like carrots.

As I said, we miss so much around us when we refuse to open our eyes.

I have a rabbit that is absolutely terrified of carrots, she cowers in the corner when her cage mate enjoys one. I have learned to give them when they are in free time.

These lessons have just come to me recently, after reading a book called The Incidental Guru. It is a story of a woman and a dog that she adopted. She thought that she had the perfect pet and well trained at that, that is until he turned on her and bit her. She made the decision to rehabilitate him rather than put him down, not only was the dog rehabilitated but so was she. Through this process she healed him as well as herself. It turned out to be a self help book,and brought me closer to understanding my babies.

Don't take anything for granted, there is always the chance you can get bit.

I didn't know that most rabbits didn't like carrots. I knew that most people assumed that they should pretty much make up their diets because they are ignorant, but both Nelson and the fosters love carrots. Maybe they're just weird.Nelson hates craisins and the girls reject pumpkin.

Edited because I forgot to mention how cool this post was. Silly me. I really enjoyed reading it.

These are great! You don't mind if Iprint them do you?

I want to post them in my room.

Wow that's awesome! I totattly love that! It's like the 10 bunny commandments...

#1 does have it's excuses though, such as 4-H showmen. We're required to pick our rabbits up by the scruff, and to hold them switch them around in our arms and all. We have to support their bottom's of course -we can't just pick up by the scruff w/o not supporting the bottoms.

Emily

Please feel free BSAR to reprint them.

I realize that Emily... these 10 lessons were from MY bunnies lol. Annie got picked up by the scruff once by a kid and she let a nice screech out of her.

I got in contact with the author of the above book andafter talking about the book, I sent her this list that I had made and she asked if she could use it in her next book. I was truly flattered!

That is a very very true list. I might just print it myself.

BSAR wrote:
These are great! You don't mind if Iprint them do you?

I want to post them in my room.

I have done that as well - I think it is really great and all so true!

I liked that! That taught me that lessons are learned from unexpected places.... (ofcourse I could have read that off a fourtune cookie too:biggrin2:)

Latest posts

Back